The Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation is a private foundation that funds basic biomedical research in St. Louis and throughout the United States. The mission of the Foundation is to support early stage investigators engaged in biomedical research that has the potential to significantly advance the understanding, diagnosis, or treatment of disease.
Each year, thirty institutions are invited to submit two candidates each to compete for the Mallinckrodt Scholar Award. The institutions are selected by the Mallinckrodt Board based on their history of quality grant applications and award selection. Candidates should be in their fifth to eighth year of a tenure-track faculty position. From these nominations, four are chosen for direct interviews in St. Louis and one or two of these are selected to be Mallinckrodt Scholars. These individuals receive $100,000 annually for four years beginning October 1 of the year they received the designation.
$400,000 ($100,000/yr x 4 years)
Applicants are encouraged to consult with their Associate Deans for Research prior to internal submission to assure they meet eligibility criteria and their projects meet stated program objectives.
- The funds are designed to provide faculty members who hold M.D. and/or Ph.D. degrees, and are in their fifth to eighth year of a tenure-track position, with support to move the project forward to the point where other independent funding can be obtained. Candidates may have an R01.
- The Scholar Award provides $100,000 per year for a period of four years. Each year thirty institutions are invited to nominate two candidates. Four finalists will be invited to come to St. Louis for an interview with the Trustees. Travel expenses will be paid by the Foundation. One to two Scholar Awards are granted each year. Institutions are selected based on their history of quality grant applications and award selection. The respective research grants offices of the invited institutions are notified by us in October and applications are due the following January 15th. Unfortunately, we will not consider Scholar Award candidates from institutions outside our invitation rotation.
In ONE PDF, please provide:
- A cover sheet with:
- PI Name
- PI Department/Division and School/College
- Project Title
- Summary of Project, no longer than one page, with 12-point font and one-inch margins
- Federal-grant-style Biosketch (usually NIH or NSF)
Please send these documents as a single PDF to Stephanie Endy (email@example.com) by October 16, 2018.
Final nominees will be notified of their selection by October 26, 2018.
Final proposal must be received by the Office of Research Administration by January 9, 2019, at 5:00pm EST.
Final proposal must be received by the sponsor by January 15, 2019, at 5:00pm EST.