The Technology Validation and Start-up Fund (TVSF), funded by the Ohio Third Frontier, aims to accelerate and fund the translation of promising technologies into the marketplace through Ohio start-up companies with the eventual goal of creating greater economic growth.
CWRU has received a third award of $500,000 from the Ohio Third Frontier, which is administered by the Technology Transfer Office as the CWRU TVSF Program ("CTP") to advance a number of selected programs over a 12-month period.
The CTP is intended to be the final bridge between a translational research project and a viable commercial program. Funding will support technologies that require validation/proof that will directly impact and enhance commercial viability and the ability to support a start-up company. Projects must have already advanced beyond basic research and should have the equivalent of a laboratory-scale proof of concept prior to applying for funding.
Applicants are encouraged to work with potential Ohio licensees and business advisors prior to submitting an application in order to identify critical needs for the technology. Paramount importance will be placed on customer discovery, whether in the form of industry partners or potential end users. Specific milestones related to enhancing valuation and reducing risk should be defined, which can include any of the following: prototyping, scale-up, animal and/or clinical testing, addressing regulatory or reimbursement requirements.
All proposals must fall into one of these State of Ohio's technology focus areas:
- Biomedical/Life Sciences
- Advanced Materials
- Software/Information Technology
- Advanced Manufacturing
Anticipated Award Type: Standard Grant with 1:1 cost match required by applicant
Total CTP funding amount: $500,000 + $500,000 cost match by awardees
Funding Period Per Project: 1 year
Funding Start Date: 1-2 months after submission of full proposal
Funding Restrictions: No more than 25% of the total project budget may be allocated to personnel costs. Indirect costs are not allowed.
Cost Match Requirement*: cash cost share commitment of at least one dollar for every dollar of project funds requested (i.e., a ratio of 1:1) and must represent a specific new unrestricted cash commitment to the project.
* NIH funds and other State of Ohio grants are not allowed for cost match
$500,000 + $500,000 cost match by awardees
- Applicants must be full-time CWRU faculty, or have joint appointments between CWRU and any of the following hospitals: University Hospitals, VA Medical Center or Metro Health Systems
- Applicants must have at least a provisional patent application on file related to the project with the CWRU Technology Transfer Office
- Priority will be given to projects that have had previous funding from a Translational Research Program or have been pre-vetted by one of CWRU's affiliated Validation Programs, listed below*:
Translational Research Funding Programs:
- Case-Coulter Translational Research Program (CCTRP)
- Council to Advance Human Health (CAHH)
- NIH Center for Accelerated Innovations (NCAI)
- Clinical and Translational Science Collaborative (CTSC)
- Taipei Medical University (TMU)
- Harrington Discovery Institute (HDI)
- High Throughput Screening Program
- OFRN / ARPA-E / Other DOD or DOE
- Research and Technology Commercialization Visiting Committee (RTCVC)
- Great Lakes Energy Institute (GLEI)
- JumpStart Venture Validation Program (VVP)
- Tech Belt Energy Innovation Center (TBEIC)
* Additional programs can be considered, please contact Stephanie Weidenbecher at (216) 368-6191 to discuss in more detail
Please note, this process replaces the TVSF Phase 1 grants, formerly administered by the Ohio Third Frontier ("OTF"). Applicants will no longer be able to submit Phase 1 proposals to the OTF. All submissions and awards will be directly administered by CWRU's Technology Transfer Office with oversight from the OTF.
Qualified proposals will be chosen to advance to the full proposal stage. Each applicant will be contacted individually. Qualified applicants will receive a template for their full proposal.
Deadline for full proposal submission is November 6, 2019 at 12:00pm (noon) EST.