The Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation is a private foundation that funds basic biomedical research in St. Louis and throughout the United States. The mission of the Foundation is to support early-stage investigators engaged in biomedical research that has the potential to significantly advance the understanding, diagnosis, or treatment of disease.
Each year, thirty institutions are invited to submit two candidates each to compete for the Mallinckrodt Scholar Award. The institutions are selected by the Mallinckrodt Board based on their history of quality grant applications and award selection. Candidates should be in their fifth to the eighth year of a tenure-track faculty position. From these nominations, four are chosen for direct interviews in St. Louis and one or two of these are selected to be Mallinckrodt Scholars. These individuals receive $100,000 annually for four years beginning October 1 of the year they received the designation.
$400,000 ($100,000/yr X 4 yrs)
NOTE: Second set of guidelines on this page
- The funds are designed to provide faculty members who hold M.D. and/or Ph.D. degrees, and are in their fifth to the eighth year of a tenure-track position, with support to move the project forward to the point where other independent funding can be obtained. Candidates may have an R01.
- The Scholar Award provides $100,000 per year for a period of four years. Each year thirty institutions are invited to nominate two candidates. Four finalists will be invited to come to St. Louis for an interview with the Trustees. Travel expenses will be paid by the Foundation. One to two Scholar Awards is granted each year. Institutions are selected based on their history of quality grant applications and award selection. The respective research grants offices of the invited institutions are notified by us in October and applications are due to the following January 15th.
In ONE PDF, please provide:
- A one-page overview with 12-point font and 1-inch margins including:
- PI Name
- PI Department/Division and School/College
- Project Title
- Summary of Project
- A confirmation that you hold an MD and/or PhD degrees and are in your fifth to the eighth year of a tenure-track position
- Federal-grant-style Biosketch (usually NIH or NSF)
Please send these documents as a single PDF to email@example.com by November 8, 2019.
Final nominees will be notified of their selection by November 15, 2019.
The final proposal must be received by the Office of Research Administration by January 8, 2020, at 5:00 pm EST.
The final proposal must be received by the sponsor by January 15, 2020, at 5:00 pm EST.