EERE will accept only new applications under this FOA. EERE will not consider applications for renewals of existing EERE-funded awards through this FOA.
Topic 1: Field Validation and Demonstration of Extraction, Separation and Processing Technologies
- Subtopic 1.1: Improved Extraction
- Subtopic 1.2: Improved Beneficiation, Separation and/or Processing
- Subtopic 1.3: Large Scale Projects
Topic 2: Next Generation Extraction, Separation and Processing Technologies
- Subtopic 2.1: Rare Earth Element Separation
- Subtopic 2.2: Conversion to Rare Earth Metals (RE-metals)
- Subtopic 2.3: Li Extraction from Unconventional Sources
- Subtopic 2.4: LI Precursor Refinement
EERE expects to make a total of approximately $30 million of federal funding available for new awards under this FOA, subject to the availability of appropriated funds. EERE anticipates making approximately 5-10 awards under this FOA. EERE may issue one, multiple, or no awards. Individual awards may be up to $10 million for Topic Area 1 Areas of Interest 1 and 2 projects, one project up to $30 million under Topic Area 1 Area of Interest 3, and $500,000 for Topic Area 2 projects.
Cost sharing is required: All applications must include a letter from the Research Dean of their school or college committing to meet the cost share requirements.
Applicants are encouraged to consult with their Associate Deans for Research prior to internal submission to assure they meet eligibility criteria and their projects meet stated program objectives.
Cost Share Requirements for all Sub-Topics
The cost share must be at least 20% of the total allowable costs for research and development projects and 50% of the total allowable costs for demonstration and commercial application projects and must come from non-federal sources unless otherwise allowed by law.
- Proposed Name, Title, Department, and School of the PI
- Proposed Title of Project
- DoE SubTopic number and name
- A one page or less brief description of the current state-of-the-art baseline technology (including its limitations), the proposed technology and the potential impact the new technolgy could have on the relevant field.
- A letter from the Research Dean of their school or college committing to meet the cost sharing requirements should the proposal be selected to move forward.
Applicants will be notified on or around June 18, 2020.
Applications must be routed in Sparta for approval by June 22, 2020.
Required concept papers are due to the sponsor on June 25, 2020.