The Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at Case Western Reserve University celebrated the graduation of its most recent social work and nonprofit management students Sunday.
The celebration included 10 reminders from graduate student speaker June Wang, whose to-do list as she transitions from graduate school includes, “Stop comparing myself with others. Do the dishes. And introduce gender-neutral pronouns to my Chinese grandparents and parents.”
Commencement speaker Lisa M. Pape, a Veterans Affairs senior executive and alumna of the MSSA program, shared her personal and professional journey that led to her team reducing veteran homelessness nationwide by 49 percent over six years. She reminded with graduates and their loved ones, “You can. You will.” Read her full remarks.
Additionally, the school recognized several members of the school with awards commemorating exceptional achievements in the classroom and community.
- Irene Sogg Gross Award: Jamie Lynne Bohunicky
- Sylvia & John Yankey Community Service Award: Xinyuan Cui and Jessenia Velez Matias
- Dean's Award for Outstanding Student Achievement: Xinyuan Cui
- Outstanding Field Instructor: Katie Eichenauer
- MNO Teacher of the Year: Bradley Tucker
- John A. Yankey Outstanding Teacher Award for Full-Time Teaching: Adrianne Crawford Fletcher
- John A. Yankey Outstanding Teacher Award for Adjunct Teaching: Linda Springer
- The Mandel School Advocate for Human Rights Award: Lisa M. Pape