Registrar Services

The registrar is here to help you take care of the business of being a student.

Learn about:

Exterior of the social work building

Contact the registrar

Change of Address

You must use the Student Information System to change your addresses, phone numbers, privacy settings, etc.

Change of Name or Social Security number

Any name changes must be completed by filling out the form located on the University Registrar’s page.

For changes to your Social Security number, please submit your original signed Social Security card to the registrar.

For changes to your legal name, please submit an original court order, certified marriage certificate and/or certified divorce decree. These documents must accompany the form and be submitted in person to:

Mandel School Registrar
The Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
10900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH

Office hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Course Repeat Petition

You may petition the associate dean of academic affairs to repeat a maximum of two courses during your degree program in order to improve your performance. The petition requires approval from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. When complete, submit the Course Repeat Petition Form to the Mandel School Registrar.


You may drop and add courses using SIS. The drop/add period concludes after the first two weeks of classes each semester. See the Academic Calendar for exact dates each semester. If you prefer, you may complete the Drop/Add Form and fax it to the Mandel School Registrar at 216.368.6624.

Enrollment Verification

View the CWRU Registrar Degree Verification page for information on enrollment verification. Requests for information to be released to a third-party must be submitted in writing to the registrar’s assistant. Five business days should be allotted for processing.

Incomplete Grades

If you would like to request an incomplete grade in a course, please complete the Incomplete Request Form with your instructor’s authorization and submit it to the Mandel School Registrar.

Independent Study

To participate in the following courses, complete and submit the appropriate form:


You will be notified by the registrar when you are eligible to apply for graduation. After you receive an e-mail notification from the registrar, you may apply for graduation on the Student Information System.

Loan Deferment

You must request a loan deferment form from your Lender each semester. Once completed, loan deferment forms must be submitted to:

CWRU Registrar’s Verification Office
10900 Euclid Avenue 135 Yost Hall
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7042

Note: Processing will not occur until after the drop/add period of each semester.

Official Transcripts

View the Case Registrar Transcript Request page for an overview of requesting official transcripts. You must notify the Office of the University Registrar (in person or via U.S. mail) to request an original official transcript.

Proficiency Exams

The Proficiency Exams are for entering MSSA students who do not have a bachelor's degree in social work (BSW), but who might have taken courses similar to the foundation curriculum and prefer to waive one or more in favor of more elective courses. No credits hours are granted for passing the Proficiency Exams. 

Successful completion of the exam(s) exempts the student from the requirement to complete the course(s). Elective courses may be substituted in order to earn the required credit hours needed for graduation. Please register for the class/classes which you are attempting to waive. You can drop the class if you pass the exam.

Please complete the Proficiency Exam Registration Form.

Proficiency Exam FAQs:

  • Who should take the proficiency exams? Any NON-BSW student in the Full/Part Time or Intensive Weekend Program formats who have had previous course work in socio-behavioral theory, social science research and/or social policy.
  • How do I sign up to take the proficiency exam(s)? You must complete the Proficiency Exam Registration Form in order to schedule appointment(s) to take the exam(s) no later than 14 days prior to the beginning of the semester that the course(s) is/are offered.
  • When can I take the proficiency exams? The following exams can be scheduled at any time but must be taken no later than 14 days prior to the beginning of the semester the course is offered:
    • SASS 426: Research Methods in Social Work | Spring Semester
    • SASS 440: Human Development in Context I: Child and Adolescent | Fall Semester
    • SASS 441: Human Development in Context II: Adult | Spring Semester
    • SASS 470: Social Policy | Fall Semester
    • SASS 484: Theories of Oppression and Social Justice | Fall Semester
  • If I pass, what course(s) would I take? The course requirement will be waived and you would need to substitute an advanced elective for the credit hours. Please note the number of credit hours required for graduation will not be reduced as a result of passing the exam(s).
  • What happens if I do not pass the exam? There is no penalty for not passing. However, the individual exam may be taken only once.
  • What does it cost? There is no charge to take the exams.


Withdrawing from a class

When a student drops a course(s) after the normal drop/add period, without completely withdrawing from the university, the student will be charged full tuition for the course(s) dropped and will receive a grade of “W." This rule applies to both semesters and summer session. Not attending a course does not constitute withdrawing from a course. Contact the Mandel School Registrar for details on this process.

Withdrawing from the university

Students withdrawing from the Mandel School must meet with Assistant Dean Andrea Porter for an exit interview and return their University student ID, prior to completing the withdrawal process on the Student Information System. See the refund percentage table (by date) on the CWRU Registrar Withdrawal and Tuition Refunds page.