- Rising second- and third-year students are eligible to apply to the Beckman Scholars Program. Research begins at the start of the summer term.
- The program is restricted to majors from biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry (and chemical biology) and neurosciences.
- Beckman Scholars must be full-time students and remain in good academic standing.
- Beckman Scholars must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions.
- Beckman Scholars will have a minimum overall and science GPA of 3.60 at the time of application.
- Past and/or present laboratory research experience (e.g. high school experience, industry-based research, etc.) is expected.
- Genuine interest in and passion for scientific research (beyond major requirements) and scientific leadership; in pursuit of PhD, MD, MD/PhD, or other scientific pursuits.
- Ability to commit to two summers of full-time research (10 weeks at 40 hours week) and part-time research during the academic year in between (10 hours per week).
Beckman Scholar applicants must be accepted by one of the Beckman Scholars Program Mentors. Students must discuss their interest in applying to the Beckman Scholars program and their project idea with the Mentor. Mentors will select and encourage students who then will complete the application process.
A completed application consists of:
- Completed application form
- Resume or CV
- One-page statement of your future academic and career goals and how becoming a Beckman Scholar is integral to your future goals and plans.
- Two- to three-page independent research project proposal, including project description and methodology. The project must be mentored by one of the Beckman Scholars Program Mentors.
- Two faculty letters of recommendation: one from the identified Beckman Scholars Program Mentor; one from a science faculty member or previous research mentor. Please complete the top section of the recommendation form and give the form to the appropriate recommender.
- The Beckman Scholars Program Application
- Beckman Mentor Reference Form
- Science Reference Form
The deadline to apply is TBD spring 2023.
The Beckman Scholars Award selection committee will select up to five applicants for an in-person interview. Finalists will prepare and deliver a 10-minute presentation that outlines their research and academic goals, interest in and commitment to becoming a Beckman Scholar, and proposed research project. A Q&A session will follow the presentation.