PSURG is a full-time summer program that supports CWRU students specifically in the biological, chemistry and social sciences (especially psychological sciences). 2023 PSURG dates are May 30, 2023 to August 4, 2023. Students must be present and engaged in research during the entire 10-week period. Students unable to meet this requirement may apply for SOURCE-STEM or -AHSS funding. PSURG awardees are expected to attend 10 weekly Wednesday research education seminars. Students will receive $3700 stipend and $500 housing allowance. Students who apply to PSURG will be considered for SOURCE STEM or AHSS. Please do not apply to SOURCE STEM or AHSS if you are applying to SOURCE PSURG.
All undergraduate students at Case Western Reserve University who are continuing as undergraduates in Fall 2023 are eligible to apply. Awardees must be registered for fall classes prior to beginning the summer project. Projects must be completed at CWRU, and/or be under the supervision of a CWRU faculty member. Most all applicants are working in labs of faculty (i.e. and not solitary, independent projects). Eligible faculty mentors include our affiliates at the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, the VA Hospital, University Circle museums and other affiliated institutions.
Students who are awarded full research scholarships ($3,700) cannot enroll in more than one summer class for a maximum of 4 credit hours. However, students may not enroll in physics 115, 116, 121, 122, 123 or 124 and participate in a full-time SOURCE funded summer research experience. If students wish to take a physics course or enroll for more than 4 credit hours over the summer they must apply as a part-time SOURCE STEM or SOURCE AHSS applicant.
While students may apply for funding for different projects, students may not accept funding for 2 different projects (that is, for example, students may not be part of the ENGAGE program and receive SOURCE funding for a separate project). If you are accepted into more than one program, you must choose in which program you want to participate. Faculty mentors may (and are encouraged to) supplement SOURCE funding with supplies and/or stipend support.
Please note: Students cannot save and return to the online application. It is necessary that students complete all application materials and have them available prior to beginning the online application.
The online application consists of the following:
- Completion of all required application questions. You will need to know your project mentor's department and email.
- A 3-6 page proposal (single- or double-spaced) to include:
- Page One: Title Page - Your name, major, project title, mentor's name, and department only on this first page
- Following Pages (pages 2-5) - Objective (big picture of project proposal), introduction (with literature citations, include project background as appropriate), project description, methodology, time commitment required for the project and connection with your educational and career goals.
- If your project involves human subjects that require IRB approval, you must include a section in your proposal about where you are in the IRB approval process.
- Last Page: References
- 6-page maximum, including title and reference pages
- Resume - Please include student groups and leadership activities.
The deadline is February 15 at 11:59 PM. A complete application consists of submitted student application and the submitted Faculty Mentor Sponsor From.
Applications will be reviewed to confirm that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. Application reviewers will evaluate application files and identify recipients based on the strength and educational value of the proposal, the feasibility of the project, and the overall support of the faculty sponsor.
SOURCE will inform students about funding status on or by April 16, 2023.
Online Funding Application
Summer Funding Application
Before beginning the application: log out of your internet applications and open the SOURCE application in incognito/private browsing mode. Log in with your CWRU network ID and password. This should eliminate many issues.
Difficulty accessing form? If you have problems opening the application or uploading documents please try another internet browser (specifically, Internet Explorer or Safari) or use incognito mode (private browsing) in your current browser. Plugins may interfere with parts of the form functionality. You also need to be logged into your CWRU email and log out of any other programs online.
Difficulty attaching your documents? Please note that your browser security setting or add-ons can prevent the form from loading or submitting correctly. If you run into any issues, follow the steps below:
- Copy the form link: https://docm-unity.case.edu/Uforms/PVSRCApplications_UForm.aspx
- Launch a new browser window with private browsing enabled:
- Google chrome: Ctrl + Shift + N
- Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge: Ctrl + Shift + P
- Apple Safari: Shift + Command + N
- Paste the form link into the new browser window and complete your application.
Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form
Use the blue button below to access the faculty sponsor form.
Faculty Sponsor Form
Please note: faculty cannot submit their sponsor form until after students have submitted their application. Applicants cannot access this form. Please provide your faculty mentor with the link to this page along with your 7 digit student ID number and CWRU network ID. If your faculty mentor does not have CWRU network access, please email email@example.com and provide your faculty mentor's email. SOURCE will email the form to your project mentor.
An application is considered complete when both the online application and the Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form are submitted.