2018 application now closed
Students must identify a mentor prior to completing the SOURCE STEM summer application. The SOURCE office is available for assistance in identifying a faculty mentor. CWRU undergraduates conducting research related to Science, Engineering, Technology or Mathematics (STEM) are eligible to apply for SOURCE STEM funding. Applicants must be continuing as undergraduates in Fall 2018 and awardees must be registered for Fall classes prior to beginning the summer project. Projects must be completed at CWRU, and/or be under the supervision of a CWRU faculty member. Eligible faculty mentors include our affiliates at the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, the VA Hospital, University Circle museums and other affiliated institutions.
The SOURCE STEM program allows for reasonable and limited flexibility. With the project mentor's approval and SOURCE notification, students may take off 1-2 weeks during the traditional 10-week summer program and adjust their start and/or end time accordingly. Part-time project applications are accepted. Although the length of the program is flexible, awardees are expected to attend at least 7 Lunch & Learn Seminars that are offered weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the 10-week program.
Students who are awarded full research scholarships ($3,500) cannot enroll in more than one summer class per session for a maximum of 8 hours and cannot take any physics courses. If students wish to take a physics course or enroll for more than 8 credit hours (4 credits per session) over the summer they must apply as a part-time SOURCE STEM applicant. While students may apply for funding for different projects, students may not accept funding for 2 different projects (that is, for example, students may not be part of the ENGAGE program and receive SOURCE funding for a separate project). If you are accepted into more than one program, you must choose in which program you want to participate. Faculty mentors may (and are encouraged to) supplement SOURCE funding with supplies and/or stipend support.
Please Note: Students cannot save and return to the online application. It is necessary that students complete all application materials and have them available prior to beginning the online application.
The online application consists of the following:
- Completion of all required application questions. You will need to know your project mentor's department and email.
- A 3-5 page proposal (single- or double-spaced) to include:
- Title Page - Your name, major, project title, mentor's name, and department only on this first page
- Following Pages - Goals and objectives, project description (including a short literature review), methodology, time commitment required for the project, connection with your educational and career goals, and budget summary
- If your project involves human subjects that require IRB approval, you must include a section in your proposal about where you are in the IRB approval process.
- If you also wish to be considered for SURES funding you must indicate this in this proposal. Please affirm that you will be able to fully participate in the program from May 29th, 2018 to August 3, 2018 and attend all Thursday seminars (noon-1pm). Please state how you have been involved in energy and sustainability organizations or extracurricular activities. You should also address how your project is connected to energy and/or sustainability.
Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form
Your project mentor must also complete the Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form.
An application is considered complete when both the online application and the Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form are submitted.
The application deadline is February 15 at 11:59 PM.
Applications will be reviewed to confirm that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. The selection committee will evaluate application files and identify recipients based on the strength and educational value of the proposal, the feasibility of the project, and the overall support of the faculty sponsor.
SOURCE will inform students about funding status on or by April 11, 2018.
If you have problems opening the application or uploading documents please try another internet browser (specifically, Internet Explorer or Safari) or use incognito mode (private browsing) in your current browser. Plugins may interfere with parts of the form functionality. You may also need to be logged into your CWRU email and log out of any other programs online.