Students must identify a mentor prior to completing the SOURCE STEM summer application. The SOURCE office is available for assistance in identifying a faculty mentor. CWRU undergraduates conducting research related to Science, Engineering, Technology or Mathematics (STEM) are eligible to apply for SOURCE STEM funding. Applicants must be continuing as undergraduates in Fall 2021 and awardees must be registered for Fall classes prior to beginning the summer project. Projects must be completed at CWRU, and/or be under the supervision of a CWRU faculty member. Most all applicants are working in labs of faculty (i.e. and not solitary, independent projects). Eligible faculty mentors include our affiliates at the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, the VA Hospital, University Circle museums and other affiliated institutions.
The SOURCE STEM program allows for reasonable and limited flexibility. With the project mentor's approval and SOURCE notification, students may take off 1-2 weeks during the traditional 10-week summer program (For summer 2021: June 1 - August 6) and adjust their start and/or end time accordingly. Part-time project applications are accepted. Although the length of the program is flexible, awardees are expected to attend at least 8 Lunch & Learn Seminars that are offered weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the 10-week program.
SOURCE Summer Course Policy. Students who are awarded full research scholarships ($3,500) cannot enroll in more than one summer class per session for a maximum of 8 hours during the summer. However, students may not enroll in physics 115, 116, 121, 122, 123 or 124 and participate in a full-time SOURCE funded summer research experience. If students wish to take a physics course or enroll for more than 8 credit hours (4 credits per session) over the summer they must apply as a part-time SOURCE STEM applicant. While students may apply for funding for different projects, students may not accept funding for 2 different projects (that is, for example, students may not be part of the ENGAGE program and receive SOURCE funding for a separate project). If you are accepted into more than one program, you must choose in which program you want to participate. Faculty mentors may (and are encouraged to) supplement SOURCE funding with supplies and/or stipend support.
Please Note: Students cannot save and return to the online application. It is necessary that students complete all application materials and have them available prior to beginning the online application.
The online application consists of the following:
- Completion of all required application questions. You will need to know your project mentor's department and email.
- A 3-6 page proposal (single- or double-spaced) to include:
- First Page: Title Page - Your name, major, project title, mentor's name, and department only on this first page.
- Following Pages (pages 2-5) - Objective (big picture of proposed project), Introduction (with literature citations, include project background as appropriate), project description, methodology, time commitment required for the project, connection with your educational and career goals, and budget summary. Note: the budget summary may be one sentence (e.g. I am requesting $3,500 in stipend support or I am requesting $3000 in stipend support and $500 in supplies).
- If your project involves human subjects that require IRB approval, you must include a section in your proposal about where you are in the IRB approval process.
- If you also wish to be considered for SURES funding you must indicate this in this SOURCE STEM proposal (and may extend the proposal page count to 7 pages maximum). Please affirm that you will be able to fully participate in the SURES program (June 1 - August 6) and attend all Thursday seminars (noon-1pm). Please state how you have been involved in energy and sustainability organizations or extracurricular activities. You should also address how your project is connected to energy and/or sustainability.
- Last Page - Reference Page
- Please note: 6-page maximum, including title and reference pages
Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form
See Below. Please note: faculty cannot submit their sponsor form until after students have submitted their application.
The application deadline is March 7 at 11:59 PM.
Applications will be reviewed to confirm that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. The selection committee will evaluate application files and identify recipients based on the strength and educational value of the proposal, the feasibility of the project, and the overall support of the faculty sponsor.
SOURCE will inform students about funding status on or by April 16, 2021.
Please log out of your internet applications and open the SOURCE application in incognito/private browsing mode. Log in with your CWRUnet credentials. This should eliminate any issues.
Difficulty accessing your documents? If you have problems opening the application or uploading documents please try another internet browser (specifically, Internet Explorer or Safari) or use incognito mode (private browsing) in your current browser. Plugins may interfere with parts of the form functionality. You may also need to be logged into your CWRU email and log out of any other programs online.
Difficulty attaching your documents? Please note that your browser security setting or add-ons can prevent the form from loading or submitting correctly. If you run into any issues, follow the steps below:
1. Copy the form link
2. Launch a new browser window with private browsing enabled:
a. Google Chrome: Ctrl + Shift + N
b. Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge: Ctrl + Shift + P
c. Apple Safari: Shift + Command + N
3. Paste the form link into the new browser window and fill out your application.