The SURES Program
The 2022 Summer Undergraduate Research in Energy and Sustainability (SURES) program is a ten-week program (May 30, 2023 to August 4, 2023). Part-time project applications are accepted although all SURES awardees are expected to be on-campus and participating in their projects during the entire 10-week period. SURES awardees are expected to attend the 10-week SURES educational seminars.
Case Western Reserve University is a multi-disciplinary research intensive university with administration, faculty, staff, and students actively involved in issues of energy and sustainability across a breadth of disciplines. In its strategic plan and beyond, the university has committed financial resources to energy and the environment through The Great Lakes Energy Institute and Fowler Center for Sustainable Value, among others. The SURES program provides support for undergraduates to participate with faculty in research and engages students, staff, faculty, and community members in discussion and debate of energy issues. Students who participate in the program are better prepared to enter industry and business and make an impact early in their careers.
The SOURCE office recognizes and is grateful to the CWRU Alumni Association (CAA) and Dominion Energy for their support of the 2022 SURES program.
CWRU undergraduate students who are continuing as undergraduates at CWRU in Fall 2023 are eligible to apply to the SURES program. Award recipients must be registered for fall classes prior to beginning the summer project. Projects must be completed at CWRU and be under the supervision of a CWRU faculty member. Eligible faculty mentors include our affiliates at the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, the VA Hospital, University Circle museums and other affiliated institutions.
Students who are awarded full-time research scholarships ($3,700) cannot enroll in more than one summer class per session for a maximum of 4 hours. In addition, students cannot take certain physics courses that are specified in the SOURCE STEM and AHSS program summaries. If students wish to take one of these specified physics courses or enroll for more than 4 credit hours over the summer they must apply as a part-time applicant. Any summer courses taken cannot interfere with your attendance at the seminar series and other summer activities.
While students may apply for funding for different projects, students may not accept funding for 2 different projects (for example, students may not be part of both the CREATE and SURES programs). If you are accepted into more than one program, you must choose in which project you want to participate. However, faculty members are encouraged to supplement SURES funding with additional funding for supplies and stipend.
Please note: Students cannot save and return to the online application. It is necessary that students complete all application materials and have them available prior to beginning the online application.
The online application consists of the following:
- Completion of all required application questions. You will need to know your project mentor's department and email.
- A 3-6 page proposal (single- or double-spaced) to include:
- First Page: Title Page - Your name, major, project title, mentor's name, and department only on this first page
- Following Pages (pages 2-5)- Project objective (big picture of proposed project), introduction (project background, include literature citations), project description, project connection to energy and/or sustainability (especially if the project is technical), methodology, time commitment required for the project, connection with your educational and career goals, and budget summary. Also include information about how you are or have been involved in non-research related activities in energy and/or sustainability.
- If your project involves human subjects that require IRB approval, you must include a section in your proposal about where you are in the IRB approval process.
- Last Page - References
- Please note: 6 pages maximum, including title and references pages.
- Resume - Please include student groups and leadership activities.
Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form
Please see below. Please note: faculty cannot submit their sponsor form until after students have submitted their application.
The application deadline is March 10 at 11:59 p.m. An application is complete when both the student's and mentor's online applications are submitted.
Applications will be reviewed to confirm that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. The selection committee will evaluate application files and identify recipients based on the strength and educational value of the proposal, the feasibility of the project, and the overall support of the faculty sponsor.
SOURCE will inform students about funding status on or before April 16, 2023.
Online Funding Application
Use the blue button below to access the summer funding application.
Summer Funding Application
Before beginning the application: Please log out of your internet applications and open the SOURCE application in incognito/private browsing mode. Log in with your CWRU network ID and password. This should eliminate many issues.
Difficulty accessing application? If you have problems opening the application or uploading documents please try another internet browser (Internet Explorer or Safari) or use incognito mode (or private browsing). Plugins may interfere with parts of the form functionality. You may also need to be logged into your CWRU email and log out of any other programs online.
Difficulty attaching your proposal? Please note that your browser security setting or add-ons can prevent the form from loading or submitting correctly. If you run into any issues, follow the steps below:
- Copy the form link: https://docm-unity.case.edu/Uforms/PVSRCApplications_UForm.aspx
- Launch a new browser window with private browsing enabled:
- Google chrome: Ctrl + Shift + N
- Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge: Ctrl + Shift + P
- Apple Safari: Shift + Command + N
- Paste the form link into the new browser window and complete your application.
Faculty Sponsor Form
Use the blue button below to access the faculty sponsor form.
Faculty Sponsor Form
Please note: faculty cannot submit their sponsor form until after students have submitted their application. Applicants cannot access this form. Please provide your faculty mentor with the link to this page along with your 7 digit student ID number and CWRU network ID. If your faculty mentor does not have CWRU network access, please email email@example.com and provide your faculty mentor's email. SOURCE will email the form to your project mentor.
An application is considered complete when both the online application and the Faculty Mentor Sponsor Form are submitted.