Help for Students in Crisis
Immediate help is available to students, faculty, staff, parents and family members when a crisis occurs or threats of harm arise.
24/7 Suicide Prevention + Crisis Intervention
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Call, text, or chat: 988
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. The Lifeline phone number (1.800.273.8255) will always remain available to people in emotional distress or suicidal crisis
Crisis Text Line
The Trevor Project (for LGBTQ youth)
- Phone: 866.488.7386
- Text: 678678
- Online Chat
Veterans Crisis Line
- Phone: 800.273.8255 then press 1
- Text: 838255
- Online Chat
ADAMHS Board of Cuyahoga County
- Phone: 216.623.6888 (24-hour Suicide Prevention, Mental Health/Addiction Crisis, Information and Referral Hotline)
- Phone: 216.368.3333
On Call Care
University Health and Counseling Services provides 24/7 on call care to all CWRU students.
- Counselor On Call: 216.368.5872
- Medical Advice: 216.368.2450
For updated information on hours and to schedule an appointment visit the University Health and Counseling website.
Reach Out Mobile App
CWRU's Reach Out mobile app provides quick access to support and resources such as crisis hotlines, guidance for helping a friend in need, coping skills, and services offered on campus and in the community. This app is designed for students, faculty and staff.
Use one of the links below to download the app, or search "reach out CWRU" on your mobile app store.
The following Greater Cleveland area resources can provide helpful information in times of crisis:
- Mental Health 24-hour Referral - 216.623.6888
- Cleveland Rape Crisis Hotline - 216.619.6192
- United Way's 211/First Call For Help: a free and confidential information service ready to direct you to the health and human services you need in Cuyahoga, Geauga, and Medina Counties.
Help for Someone Else
If safety is the primary concern, contact CWRU Police at 216.368.3333.
Student Advocacy and Case Management
Concerned about a student? Download the student advocacy brochure for a list of resources, ways you can help, and information about CWRU's Behavioral Intervention and CARE teams.
Consultation Regarding Students in Distress
Consultation over the telephone is available with a staff member of UHCS at 216.368.5872. When a student demonstrates or discloses thoughts of suicide or dangerous behaviors, faculty, staff or students may contact UHCS for a consultation.
Some signs to watch for include profound depression, thoughts of suicide, self injury (cutting), frightening anger and/or threats of violence toward others; active anxiety attacks; cognitive confusion, incoherence, disorientation, or grandiose thoughts; or signs of excessive alcohol or drug use.
If you are worried about a student's immediate safety, please call Case Police at 216.368.3333.
Emergencies After Hours, Weekends and Holidays
After hours, weekends or holidays, in the event of a mental health emergency or to consult about a student in distress, call 216.368.5872 and follow the prompts to speak to a counselor by phone.
Assistance with Personal or Family Matters
If you are a University Employee (Faculty, Staff, or Administrator) and you need assistance with a personal or family matter, please contact IMPACT Solutions at 800.227.6007. Your call will be immediately answered by a qualified masters/doctoral level mental health professional 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For more information, visit the CWRU Human Resources website.
Family and Friends
If you are a parent, other family member, or friend concerned about a student, you can call the following numbers:
- UHCS: 216.368.5872
- Office of Residence Life: 216.368.6325
- Greek Life Services: 216.368.3954
- CWRU Police: 216.368.3333