The Practicum Program is a zero-credit experiential learning opportunity at Case Western Reserve University coordinated by Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education which provides students with opportunities to develop and enhance skills, insights, and knowledge.
The Practicum Program fosters intellectual, professional, and personal growth in an area related to a student's academic and career goals. Students complete a learning contract and work with a faculty advisor to fulfill an active learning experience while on the job.
Practicum students enroll in course sections for the semester in which they are on assignment (either full-time—40 hours/week or part-time—20 hours/week) during the summer, fall or spring semesters.
Although no credit is awarded, students earn transcript notation for successful completion of a practicum experience.
How to enroll
- Schedule an appointment with a career and internship consultant to obtain a program overview and eligibility for Practicum.
- Do not accept an offer until you have met with Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education to confirm that it satisfies as a practicum experience.
- Once you receive an offer, email a copy of the offer letter to Brian Matthews, assistant director for experiential learning, for review.
- The offer letter must include your start and end date, indicate that it is full time (40 hours/week) or part-time (20 hours/week), and include the street address of the office where you will be working.
- Schedule an appointment with Brian Matthews through My Journey for additional information and to confirm your practicum.
Practicum enrollment dates
Students interested in Practicum should enroll during the semester prior to the semester in which they wish to work. For instance, if you wish to participate in Practicum in the fall semester, you should enroll during the summer. Enrollment must be completed no later than the late registration and drop/add deadline.
Current enrollment deadlines by semester:
- Summer 2021: June 7, 2021
- Fall 2021: Sept. 3, 2021
If you have questions or would like to learn more about the Practicum Program, visit the Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education website or contact Brian Matthews, assistant director for experiential learning.