When it comes to planning your future, look beyond your major. Think about where you want to go after graduation and how your major is simply one tool to get you there. Careers are not always linear. Don’t count on a direct or obvious path from your major to your dream job post-graduation. Instead, begin your career planning with the end in mind.
What type of work inspires you? In which industries do you want to make your mark?
Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education is now offering appointments based on your career interests and goals. Appointment types will span six Career Interest Areas:
- Arts & Culture;
- Engineering, Technology & Science;
- Public Service; and
- Exploring Careers, for those who want to keep their options open.
In addition, students can meet with the Support of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors team to learn about undergraduate research opportunities and with our LaunchNet team to explore your entrepreneurial ideas.
What is a Career Interest Area?
A Career Interest Area is a professional ecosystem comprising students, faculty, staff, employers, student organizations, professional organizations, volunteers and other community members and experts with common occupational interests and goals, working together to pursue their passions. Career Interest Areas go beyond the boundaries of majors and other labels to recognize the interdisciplinary interests and skills of our students and future professionals.
What does this mean for you?
Instead of meeting with a generalist at Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education, you will meet with Career and Internship Consultants specialized in your Career Interest Area who are dedicated to connecting you with top companies and industry-specific knowledge.
How to schedule an appointment
Making an appointment is easy with My Journey.
- Sign in to My Journey using Single Sign-On and Duo two-factor authentication
- Click on ‘Schedule an Appointment’
- Click on ‘Someone Else’ at the bottom left of the screen
- Select ‘Career and Internship Consultants’
- Choose the ‘All Appointment Topics’ at the very top of the screen
- Pick a Career Interest Area
- Select the Career and Internship Consultants aligned with your selected interest area
- Select the topic
- Choose a time and format that is convenient for you
Looking for assistance with your resume, cover letter, or have other quick questions about your career? Attend one of our many Career Labs instead.
Extended appointment hours are now available Monday through Thursday, from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET. Multiple appointment formats are available, including in-person, phone and virtual appointments.
How to join a Career Interest Area
Identify your career interest area in your Handshake profile to receive tailored communications and recommendations about events, internship, and job opportunities, and more.
- Log in to Handshake
- Click on your name in the top right corner of the screen
- Select 'Career Interests'
- Navigate to the question 'In what career interest areas are you most interested?'
- Select one or more interest areas
- Click the 'Save My Career Interests Button'
Additional ways to explore your career interests
Looking for more ways to explore your career interests? Consider the following:
- Explore Career Interest Area resources online to familiarize yourself with industry trends and customized information about your areas of interest.
- Meet with an expert from Support of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors to find out how to find research and creative project opportunities. Or, attend one of the weekly “All about finding research” information sessions.
- Connect with LaunchNet to launch your business idea or refine an existing endeavor.