- Rising fourth-year medical student in good standing at CWRU School of Medicine.
- Demonstrate interest in the fields of occupational and environmental medicine.
- Commitment to complete additional training in occupational and environmental medicine.
- Application open: April 15, 2020
- One-on-one sessions are available by request to Dr. Mulloy
- Application deadline: May 8, 2020 (5pm EST)
- Award notification: June 1, 2020
- Award start date: July 1, 2020
- Award end date: June 30, 2021
The Daniel Lewis Ravin, MD Award honors a rising fourth-year medical student at Case Western Reserved University who shows promise in the fields of occupational or environmental medicine to assist in professional development and research in said fields through the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health. Daniel Lewis Ravin, MD was a 1980 graduate of the CWRU School of Medicine who died tragically early in his career. The award honors his dedication to training the next generation of environmental and occupational health physicians.
Each year, 1-2 awards will be granted to student(s) who are committed to furthering their training in environmental and occupational medicine. The $10,000 award supports (a) travel to a national conference focused on environmental and occupational health and additional training in these fields ($2,000) and (b) tuition support at CWRU School of Medicine ($8,000). Tuition funds will be split evenly between the fall and spring semester ($4,000/semester). Awardees will create a training plan in consultation with a mentor from the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health.
To fulfill a commitment to occupational and environmental medicine, awardees will:
- Create a training plan in consultation with a faculty mentor from the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health.
- Attend one national conference focused on occupational and environmental medicine, and submit a summary for publication in the Swetland Scoop newsletter.
- Meet with faculty mentor at least twice over 12 months.
- Complete additional training in the fields of occupational and environmental medicine (i.e., online, pre-conference trainings, coursework at CWRU).
- Attend seminars sponsored by the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health.
- Application form including two (2) brief essays
- Describe your interest in the fields of occupational and environmental medicine (500 words)
- Describe how this award will advance your career in the fields of occupational and environmental medicine (500 words)
- Two (2) reference letters
- One letter must be from Society Dean
- Curriculum vitae