Registration and Enrollment Changes

Add Drop

Changes in course schedules must be submitted to the Registrar's Office using the Student Information System or a drop/add form before the end of the second week of classes during the fall and spring semesters and on or before the second day of classes during the summer session.

Students who add a course after the start of the semester are responsible for any work missed and are expected to speak with the instructor to learn the consequences of any work missed and whether there are opportunities for making up missed work. In some cases, the instructor of a course may require their consent before a student may add a course during the second week of the drop/add period.

Course Loads and Overloads

In order to be classified as a full-time student, a student must enroll for a minimum of 12 semester hours by the end of the drop/add period. The normal full-time load is 12-19 semester hours. Eligibility for many forms of financial aid and for participation on intercollegiate, varsity sports teams requires full time status. Students registering for fewer than 12 semester hours are classified as part-time and charged tuition on the basis of the number of semester hours being taken.

Continuing students may enroll for 20-21 hours in a semester if they have a cumulative grade point average of 3.200 or better. To register for 22 or 23 hours, a minimum grade point average of 3.500 is required.  Any schedule of more than 19 credit-hours that meets these grade point average standards requires approval by the student's navigator in the Office of Student Advancement.  Graduating seniors may submit a petition to the Office of Undergraduate Studies for overloads within reason if they need such a schedule in order to graduate at the end of the semester in question but do not meet the grade point average standard.


The First Undergraduate Year:

For the first two semesters of enrollment, matriculated students who are beginning their college studies may withdraw from a course at any time during the semester, but no later than the last day of classes. Any course for which a grade of W is assigned will be deleted from the transcript at the end of the semester. This policy is not available for transfer students and does not apply to the summer session.

After the First Undergraduate Year:

A student may withdraw from a course no later than the end of the 11th week of the semester and receive a grade of W. In extenuating circumstances, a student may petition for permission to withdraw from a course after the final date and receive a W. The grade of W will be posted on the student’s transcript.

From all Courses

Students in good academic standing (i.e., not on probation, probation incomplete, or continued on probation) may withdraw from courses through the Student Information System, provided that this does not take them to be actively enrolled in fewer than 12 credit-hours. All other course withdrawals (those by students who are not in good standing and those that take a student below 12 credit-hours of active enrollments) must be transmitted by the student to the Registrar's Office on the appropriate form, signed by a dean in the Office of Undergraduate Studies. Failure to attend class, or providing notice only to the instructor, does not constitute an official withdrawal from a course. Such an unofficial withdrawal normally will result in the student’s being assigned the grade of F. 

From the University

To withdraw from the university during a semester or session, a student must complete an official withdrawal form in the Office of Undergraduate Studies. If unable to complete the withdrawal in person, the student must send written notification to the Office of Undergraduate Studies. If the withdrawal is necessary for reasons of health, a statement from the student’s physician to the University Health Service may be required as a condition of re-admission. Grades of WD will be assigned in all courses in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal, provided that a student follows the procedures stated above. Failure to attend classes or notification of instructors only, does not constitute withdrawal from the university. A student who ceases to attend or otherwise participate in courses without officially withdrawing will be assigned the grade F for each course in which they are enrolled.

Students who do not plan to return for the following semester must notify the Office of Undergraduate Studies, 447 Sears Bldg., 216.368.2928, in person or in writing.