Integrated Graduate Studies Program FAQs

Students usually apply to IGS in the second semester of their third year, though a few students apply before then.

Yes. In order to be eligible to enter into an IGS program, students must have admission to a graduate program through the School of Graduate Studies and completed:

  1. At least 90 hours of which the last 60 hours must have been in residence at CWRU;
  2. All of the GERs and SAGES general education requirements, including the SAGES Writing Portfolio, though students accepted into the program may complete their SAGES Capstone during their first year in IGS;
  3. Two semesters of PHED;
  4. Three quarters of the requirements for your major, including three quarters of the courses required in the major department; and

No. Many times students will apply in the semester in which upon competition of 90 hours will occur at the end of the semester in which they are applying. If you apply before you meet all of the eligibility, you may be admitted on a conditional basis, pending successful completion of your remaining coursework.

The application is available on the School of Graduate Studies' website.

A planned program of study is a list of classes that you plan on studying in order to earn your master's degree. The form must be signed by you, your advisor, and Dean Wes Schaub ( The Planned Program of Study Form must be submitted with your application to Graduate Studies.

In order to change the classes on your planned program of study, you must submit a new form indicating the changes. It must be signed by you, your advisor and Wes Schaub ( A copy of it must also be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Studies ( in Sears 447.

Yes and no. You will be able to see your AA report for your undergraduate degree and your graduate degree. However, the graduate level classes will not appear on your undergraduate AA report until approximately two weeks after the end of the semester in which you completed the classes. At that time they will be copied onto your undergraduate record as well.

Yes. Because you are in an integrated program and using the graduate courses to complete your B.A, the courses that you take at the graduate level will be calculated into your undergraduate grade point average. This means that you are still eligible for graduation honors, because your graduate classes are being calculated into your grade point average. However, once you complete your BA and receive your undergraduate degree, your graduate classes will only count towards your graduate degree (if you do not receive your degrees at the same time).

You register as a graduate student through the School of Graduate Studies and are subject to the policies, procedures and regulations of the School of Graduate Studies. Please make sure you are aware of the differences between graduate and undergraduate policies.

Yes. Your scholarship is valid for eight semesters of study. As long as you have continued to meet the retention standards, you may use the scholarship for what would normally be your senior year of undergraduate studies.

Yes, since it is normally your fourth year of undergraduate work.

Yes. If you are in the IGS program, you are considered a graduate student for financial aid purposes. Please check with the Office of Financial Aid to see how your aid may be impacted.

It is helpful to have as much, if not all of your major done before your enter the IGS program. However, it is possible to take undergraduate or graduate classes when in the IGS program that will count toward your major. For example, if you are a philosophy major who is doing the MA in Bioethics, some of the electives for the the bioethics degree may be able to fulfill the philosophy electives for the undergraduate degree.

It depends on your program. Many students will earn both degrees at the same time. In some programs, you may receive your graduate degree a semester or year after your undergraduate degree. This is especially true for people in the Communication Disorders Program.