All undergraduates at Case Western Reserve must complete the SAGES Program and the physical education requirement, in addition to school-specific general education requirements based on the school of his or her major.
Course credit earned by Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, proficiency examinations, and transfer credit may be used to satisfy School of Nursing general education requirements.
NOTE: Any student who wishes to declare nursing and hasn’t already done so must do so by Aug. 1.
General Education Requirements
(minimum of 10 three- or four-credit-hour courses, totaling at least 30 credit-hours)
Natural and Mathematical Sciences (18 credit-hours)
1. Mathematical Reasoning and Analysis (three credit-hours)
- ANTH 319, PSCL 282, or STAT 201, with a grade of C or better1
2. Natural Sciences (15 credit-hours)
- BIOL 114
- BIOL 116
- BIOL 117
- CHEM 119
- CHEM 121
Breadth (12 credit-hours)
1. SOCI 203 or approved course in human growth and development, with a grade of C or better
2. Nine credit-hours comprised of three- or four-credit-hour courses outside of the areas of nursing, natural science, and mathematics offered by the College of Arts and Sciences; the Case School of Engineering; the Weatherhead School of Management; the Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences; the School of Medicine Department of Bioethics; the Cleveland Institute of Music; or the Cleveland Institute of Art. Other courses approved by the School of Nursing BSN faculty are also acceptable. The selection of courses to satisfy this requirement should be done in consultation with the student's academic advisor(s) and the assigned university navigator.
1A student who successfully completes one of these courses is not eligible to enroll in any of the other three.