[U]Tech reminds any remaining users of Windows 7 on campus that it is necessary that they upgrade their machines to Windows 10. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Users must upgrade or they will be prevented from accessing the campus network. If you have a Windows 7 computer connected to research equipment that cannot be upgraded, contact the [U]Tech Service Desk.
Faculty and staff using university-supplied computers in the following areas do not need to take any action, as they receive automatic Windows updates:
- Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences
- School of Dental Medicine
- School of Law
- UGEN + Executive IT Support
- Weatherhead School of Management
- Thin Client users
For all other users, [U]Tech recommends you first complete a data backup to an external hard drive or cloud storage solution (Google Drive, Box, etc.) and then evaluate whether your device is compatible with Windows 10 system requirements. If you find a compatibility issue, report it to the appropriate manager or department assistant.
When you are ready to upgrade to Windows 10 via the [U]Tech Software Center, follow these steps:
- Visit the Software Center website and click “I Agree” to accept the end-user license agreement.
- From the start menu, navigate to control panel to system to determine if you are running a 64 bit or 32 bit machine by looking at the system type line.
- Find the Windows 10 Enterprise 64 Bit/Build 20H2 (ISO Image Upgrade) in the list. This is available for faculty, staff and students. If a 32 bit version is needed, contact the [U]Tech Service Desk to request that the Software Center team provide one.
- Follow the instructions on the next page.
If you would like technical assistance with the Windows 10 installation, you may contact the [U]Tech Service Desk to set up an appointment.
The system requirements for Windows 10 are listed below:
- Latest OS: Make sure you’re running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or System on a Chip (SOC)
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk size: 32 GB or greater
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 800 x 600