Technology and Capability Goals:
- The Enterprise Amazon Web Services (AWS) Data Lake, is a cloud-based repository of data that has replaced the data warehouse as the enterprise solution for compiling and merging university data assets from native systems across the institution, creating a comprehensive dataset for common analysis.
- Tableau, an interactive dashboarding software application, has been selected as the enterprise analytic software solution and will be implemented and supported by the Data Management, Analytics and Visualization ([U]Tech) team. Tableau can be used across the university for streamlining daily operations through desktop analysis and/or through connecting to the data lake for creating production level, enterprise dashboards for service needs.
- The data governance software, Collibra, will be implemented to store data lineage maps, data dictionaries, and business glossaries, which will allow users to catalog, explore, and better understand enterprise data. It will also allow the creation of automated workflows for streamlining processes for data and report access.
Five Year Timeline:
During the 2021 and 2022 fiscal years, the data governance committee will focus on the formal infrastructure of the committee and university policy development, which will lay the foundation for the data governance program implementation at the university. The office of Data Management, Analytics and Visualization, in collaboration with the Data Governance Committee, will implement the enterprise analytics platform (Tableau), as well as the enterprise data governance platform (Collibra). The committee will determine the priority of the data systems that will be documented in Collibra, as this will be a multi-year endeavor. During fiscal years 2023 and 2024, we will continue to document data terminologies, establish a university glossary of terms, develop data quality standards, and data lifecycle management guidelines (see timeline image below).
Major Milestones Met to Date:
- University data governance needs assessment
- Program approval
- Reimagined Data Governance Committee, which includes major data stakeholders at the organization
- Identified executive sponsors for the program
- AWS enterprise data lake created and in production
- Tableau identified as an enterprise analytic solution
- Acquired Collibra
Action Items 2020-2021 Academic Year:
- Draft and approve university data governance policies
- Identify roles and responsibilities within the data governance program
- Create necessary sub-committees, work-groups, and/or councils for the data governance program
- Collibra test case
- Data lake enhancements and creation of HIPAA compliant space for special needs