Passwords keep essential information locked away, but many people treat passwords much too casually. They make their passwords too easy to guess, and nearly 60% mostly or always use the same one for multiple sites, to avoid coming up with or remembering different passwords. LastPass password management software, now available for all CWRU users, does all the remembering for LastPass account holders!
To sign up for LastPass, fill out a brief registration form to receive an invitation sent to your CWRU email. Please refer to the LastPass installation guide for instructions on starting up and linking to Duo Security.
A master passphrase may be used with LastPass instead of a password. A passphrase is often easier to remember than a password, and it’s all a user has to remember.
It’s simply a phrase or sentence, preferably something personal that can be easily remembered, instead of a word or random string of characters. The only rules are it should be easy to remember and not a copy of the user’s email address, with a minimum length of 16 characters. Spaces are permitted.
Passphrases are easier to remember and harder to guess or crack than passwords. UTech recommends using a passphrase for LastPass to promote a more secure environment with easier usage.
Master password rules
Do not reuse the master passphrase anywhere else, as it is the master key to unlocking all the other passwords saved in LastPass. Using it anywhere else compromises the safety and integrity of a LastPass account. If a user does try to set the master passphrase as a log-in to any sites saved in LastPass, the software will lock that user out.
- LastPass can be used with any of the most popular web browsers
- There is a LastPass mobile device app
- LastPass encrypts and decrypts data locally at the device level
- LastPass servers do not store or “know” the master password/passphrase or any of the data stored in each user’s vault
- LastPass can be combined easily with Duo two-factor authentication, already in use with some CWRU systems, for even more security
- System requirements
- Operating Systems
- Windows Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10
- Mac OS X 10.7+
- Internet Explorer 11+
- Firefox 2+
- Safari 5.1+
- Google Chrome 18+
- Opera 11+
- Microsoft Edge (38.14393+)
- IE Tab in Firefox (using IE Anywhere – Premium Feature)
- iPhone and iPad with iOS 7+
- Blackberry OS 4.2.1+
- Android 2.2+
- Windows Phone
- Dolphin browser
- Operating Systems
Learn more about LastPass at https://www.lastpass.com/business-password-manager or view an intro video at https://youtu.be/MaFl_FVU_As. For any questions about LastPass, please contact the [U]Tech Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, (216) 368.HELP (4357) or help.case.edu.