Spartan Answers: The CWRU Digital Assistant
Spartan Answers is a digital assistant for the CWRU community.
It is accessed through Google Assistant. Google Assistant can be used by the CWRU community on smartphones with the Android or iOS operating system.
The Spartan Answers user interface works in a similar way to Siri, Alexa and Echo.
How to Access Spartan Answers
- For phones using Android Marshmallow 6.0 and above, simply push and hold the Home button to activate Google Assistant.
- Alternately, download and install the Google Assistant app from the Play Store. Open the app by touching its icon, or by enabling voice activation. If activating by voice, say "Hey, Google" or "OK, Google."*
- Say or type "Ask Spartan Answers" or "Let me talk to Spartan Answers."*
- Download the Google Assistant app from the Apple Store onto your device.
- Open the app and sign in using your CWRU account.
- Tap "Yes I’m in" at the bottom right corner to give Google Assistant access to information on your phone like location history and voice/audio activity.
- Allow for use of the microphone by tapping "Yes" in the microphone access pop-up window.
- Say "Hey, Google" or "OK, Google,"* or alternately press the icon/app on the device to activate Google Assistant, and then say or type "Ask Spartan Answers" or "Let me talk to Spartan Answers."*
- Say "Hey Siri, OK Google"* to activate Google Assistant.
- Say "Ask Spartan Answers" or "Let me talk to Spartan Answers."*
Note: iOS 11 and later allows for a typing mode with the accessibility feature 'Type to Siri.'
Spartan Answers provides information for CWRU-specific and related questions. Users should go back to the main Google Assistant for general questions like "when did World War I end?" or "what was the #1 song on the Billboard pop charts for May 18, 2017?" To go back to Google Assistant from Spartan Answers, say or type "Quit," "Exit" or "Goodbye."*
Questions may be asked by speaking or typing. The default mode is speaking; press the keyboard icon in Google Assistant to activate the typing mode.
Spartan Answers can answer many questions about CWRU. Here are a few examples:
- Where is/how do I get to (Kelvin Smith Library, Tinkham Veale University Center, Sears think[b]ox, Case School of Engineering, Office of the Registrar, etc.)?
- What is happening on campus this weekend?
- How can I schedule a Safe Ride?
- How do I reset the password on my CWRU email account?
If Spartan Answers replies with no answer or an unwanted answer, try rephrasing the question/being more specific in the wording.
If Spartan Answers replies with an inaccurate answer, please let UTech know by filling out the Spartan Answers feedback form.
Feedback/New Questions/Accuracy of Answers
UTech encourages user feedback on Spartan Answers, including ideas for new questions and input on the accuracy of existing answers. Spartan Answers will improve and evolve based on users’ feedback. Please use the feedback form.
- Users should link their CWRU G Suite account in Google Assistant set-up
- Enable voice recognition to always be on so the device will activate Google Assistant when the user says "OK Google"
- Train a voice model so the device recognizes the user's direction to open Google Assistant
- There are multiple ways/word combinations to activate Google Assistant and Spartan Answers— users can test out and find their favorite methods
Get additional directions and tips at https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7172657.
*There are multiple ways/word combinations to activate Google Assistant and Spartan Answers— users can test out and find their favorite methods.