Retinal Diseases Image Analysis Reading Center (REDIARC) was founded in 1999. The primary function of REDIARC is to evaluate the pathology of fundus photographs, fluorescein angiograms, or other retinal imaging modalities for prospective clinical trials, including evaluation of fundus photographs and fluorescein angiograms, certification of photographers and clinical sites, and analysis of study results. REDIARC is located at Midtown Tech Park in Cleveland, Ohio, near the University Hospitals Case Medical Center (UHCMC) campus and the Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) campus, and is comprised of employees that are employed through either the hospital or university.
Efforts of the center are directed through the Principal Investigator, Douglas Rhee MD, in conjunction the Co-PI / Director of Grading, Baseer Ahmad, MD, and with the Director, Beth Ann Benetz, MA, CRA, FOPS. REDIARC is governed by the University Hospitals Institutional Review Board (IRB), which is fully accredited by AAHRPP.Staff follows the regulations set forth by Good Clinical Practices (GCP), International Conference on Harmonization (ICH), Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations.
REDIARC is an experienced Reading Center that has analyzed images taken at over 26,000 patient visits over the past 15 years. During the course of those studies, REDIARC has granted more than 2,600 study-specific photographer certifications and 1,900 study-specific system certifications in 37 countries around the world and across 43 U.S. states.
- AMD (Wet and Dry)
- Diabetic Retinopathy (DR) and Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
- Uveitis (Active, Inactive, Non-infectious, Behçet’s Disease)
- Non-Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (NPDR)
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
- Retinal vascular changes in Alzheimer's disease
- Effects of severe altitude on the retina
- Safety and efficacy of various devices and therapies
- Provided advice on analysis, interpretation, and reporting of Fundus Photographic and Retinal Angiography images
- Developed standardized grading protocols
- Collected film and digital imaging data from study sites
- Graded study images
- Entered numerical and qualitative data into a computerized database
- Provided the data and reading results to clinical trial organizations, which use this analysis as part of their assessment of treatment effect or disease progression
The following online resources are available:
For more information on our services, please email email@example.com.
Contact us for more information
Douglas J. Rhee, M.D.
REDIARC Medical Director
Phone: (216) 844-8590
Beth Ann Benetz, MA, CRA, FOPS
Nicola Goodall, MSW
REDIARC Project Manager