Applicants to PREP must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident
- An underrepresented minority, disabled, or disadvantaged student as defined by the NIH
- Strong desire and commitment to pursuing a PhD in the biomedical sciences
- Seniors about to graduate with a baccalaureate degree in Biology or Chemistry, or students who have attained such a degree 36 months prior to the date of submission of their application to PREP
- Good undergraduate grades
- Some, but perhaps limited, research experience
- PREP Scholars must apply to PhD granting graduate programs in a biomedical related field
The CWRU Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program accepts students from diverse groups that are underrepresented in the biomedical sciences. U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are considered underrepresented in the biomedical research field include the following racial and ethnic groups: American Indians or Alaska Natives, Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos (including Puerto Rico), Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders. Students with disabilities or students from disadvantaged backgrounds (individuals who come from a social, cultural, economic, or educational environment that have directly inhibited their development and participation in a research career) are also encouraged to apply.
Application season opens on December 1, and priority will be given to applications received before January 31. Applicants will be reviewed immediately following this date and offers will be made on a rolling basis. We will continue to accept applications until our final deadline of March 15th.
How to Apply
This program is designed to provide outstanding research training to recent diverse college graduates in preparation for matriculation into biomedical graduate programs. Our interdisciplinary programs at CWRU School of Medicine include research experiences in Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Neurosciences, Nutrition, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Physiology, among others. To be considered for the program, you must complete this application, submit three letters of recommendation, and supply unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate institutions that you have attended. Please note that an official transcript will be required if accepted into the program.
Your application to the CWRU Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program will be done online. Once logged in the School of Medicine application, under the Program Details section, select the Degree Type: Special Programs, Program: Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP), and the term to proceed.
Letters of Recommendation
The recommendation process will also occur online. Please be sure to have the emails of your recommenders available. In the “Recommender Message” section, please indicate to the recommender that you are applying to Case Western Reserve University PREP. We will then contact your recommenders via email to submit their recommendation online.
Unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate institutions that you have attended should be uploaded in the transcript section of the online application. You will be required to submit official transcripts if you are accepted to CWRU PREP
Once accepted into the CWRU PREP, Scholars will:
- Work closely with the PREP Administrator to make a seamless transition to the program
- Become an employee of Case Western Reserve University with a salary of $27, 200 per year plus associated benefits
- Arrival dates are somewhat flexible, but generally occur in early July
- Receive guidance on mentor matching