State Authorization & Compliance

Institutions engaging in regulated activities outside of their home states are required to be in compliance with the regulations and laws of each state where the activities occur as well as with federal regulations.  An institution may achieve compliance either through a state’s authorization process or through a reciprocity agreement.  

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (more commonly known as SARA) is an agreement between U.S. states and territories created for national oversight of postsecondary distance education offered across state lines. Approved institutions are authorized to offer distance education in every SARA state. Institutions must be approved by their home states to participate in SARA.  On September 16, 2015, the State of Ohio Department of Higher Education approved Case Western Reserve University to participate in SARA .  

On September 12, 2023, Case Western Reserve University was approved for continued participation in SARA.  

SARA Member States
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia*, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico*, Rhode Island,  South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, U.S. Virgin Islands*, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
*Considered states for the purposes of SARA.

Non-SARA States


Case Western Reserve University is in compliance with the State of California.

As an accredited, private non-profit postsecondary institution, Case Western Reserve University is not required to register (seek approval) with California to offer online programs and courses.

Northern Mariana Islands  

Case Western Reserve University is authorized by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.  
(view State of Ohio Certificate of Authorization)

For information concerning accreditation of Case Western Reserve University and its programs, please visit CWRU's Accreditation page.

Students are encouraged to first attempt internal resolution by following the University’s Academic Grievance Procedure.  If internal resolution cannot be reached or if a student is dissatisfied with the outcome, they have the right to appeal to appropriate State agencies for external resolution.

Higher education institutions delivering courses by distance education are required to provide the contact information for official entities or agencies within each State designated to handle complaint resolution. States are required by the US Department of Education to have complaint processes available to any enrolled or prospective distance education student.

Please visit the Complaint Resolution Process page for a full description of the complaint process and contact information.


Institutions with programs that may lead to professional licensure or certification are required by federal regulation (34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v)) to disclose whether the curriculum for each program meets the educational requirements in all U.S. states and territories.

This affects all programs that may lead to professional licensure or certification regardless of modality. 

In Ohio Case Western Reserve University's programs meet the educational requirements for licensure in the State of Ohio.
Outside of Ohio If you plan to practice outside of the state of Ohio, please check with your intended program prior to beginning a course of study to determine whether the program meets the educational requirements of your state or territory.
It is also advisable to check with the licensure board of your state or territory.  

General disclosures and board contact information for licensure boards can be accessed here

Disclaimer: The University does not represent or guarantee that programs which fulfill the State of Ohio's license requirements will fulfill the requirements set by professional licensure boards in other US states and territories.