|schwarzmanscholars.org||Seniors||Sept. 20, 2022|
Designed to prepare the next generation of global leaders, Schwarzman Scholars is the first scholarship created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st century. Whether in politics, business, or science, the success of future leaders around the world will depend upon an understanding of China’s role in global trends. Enrolling the inaugural class in 2016, the program will give the world’s best and brightest students the opportunity to develop their leadership skills and professional networks through a one-year Master’s degree at Tsinghua University in Beijing—one of China’s most prestigious universities. Students will live and study together on the campus of Schwarzman College where all classes will be taught in English. Students will pursue degrees in one of three disciplines: public policy, economics and business, and international studies. Students will spend a year immersed in an international community of thinkers, innovators and senior leaders in business, politics, and society. In an environment of intellectual engagement, professional development and cultural exchange, they will learn from one another and pursue their academic disciplines while building their leadership capacities. This experience will expand students’ understanding of the world and create a growing network of global leaders for the future.
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs must be on track to successfully complete all degree requirements by Aug. 1, 2023, before orientation begins. There are no requirements for a specific field of undergraduate study; all fields are welcome, but it will be important for applicants, regardless of undergraduate major, to articulate how participating in Schwarzman Scholars will help develop their leadership potential within their field.
- Candidates must be at least 18 but not yet 29 years of age as of Aug. 1, 2023.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong English skills, as all teaching will be conducted in English. If the applicant’s native language is not English, official English proficiency test scores must be submitted with the application. This requirement is waived for applicants who studied at an undergraduate institution where the primary language of instruction was English for at least three years of the applicant’s academic program. The requirement will also be waived for applicants who have studied in English for three or more years at a Master’s degree level or higher.
Schwarzman Scholars will be selected on the basis of not only their academic aptitude and intellectual ability, but also their leadership potential, entrepreneurial spirit, ability to anticipate and act on emerging trends and opportunities, exemplary character, and desire to understand other cultures, perspectives, and positions.
The application period for U.S and Global applicants is open between April 2022 and September 2022. The application will close at 11:59PM EDT on September 20 for the class that will arrive in Beijing in August 2023.
Selections will be made in November 2022. Applicants with Chinese passports apply by May 2022, with selections made in September 2022. Please review basic eligibility requirements via the link to the right.
Required application forms and records include:
- Online application
- Resume (2 page maximum)
- Transcripts/Academic Records
- Essays (2)
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Video (optional)
Instructions to applicants can be found here.
While there is no on-campus interview or endorsement process, applicants are strongly encouraged to utilize the assistance of the prestigious awards advisor, Dean Wes Schaub. Please contact Dean Schaub at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Value of the Award
Schwarzman Scholars will receive a comprehensive scholarship. It will include:
- Tuition Fees
- Room and board
- Travel to and from Beijing at the beginning and end of the academic year
- An in-country study tour
- Required course books and supplies
- Health insurance
- A stipend of $4,000 for personal expenses
The Schwarzman Scholars admissions team has representatives in every region to help with inquiries. To contact a United States representative, email SchwarzmanScholars.USACanada@iie.org.
For technical questions related to the application, please contact SchwarzmanScholars.email@example.com.