Current Group Members
Dr. Carlos E. Crespo-Hernández
- B.S., University of Puerto Rico, San Juan Campus,
Puerto Rico, 1995
Ph.D., University of Puerto Rico, San Juan Campus,
Puerto Rico, 2002
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University (2002-05)
Research Associate of Chemistry, The Ohio State University (2005-06)
- Associate Professor of Chemistry,
Physical Chemistry Division (2014-present)
- Co-director of the
Center for Chemical Dynamics (2008-present)
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Physical Chemistry Division (2007-2014)
Frank Hovorka Assistant Professor of Chemistry (2012-2014)
- Associated Faculty of the Minority Graduate Student Organization (MGSO) at Case Western Reserve University (2007-present)
- Member of the Ohio Supercomputer Center, The Ohio State University and of the Mississippi Center for Supercomputer Research, Jackson State University (2007-present)
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Support of Undergraduate Research & Creative Endeavors (2009-present)
- Member of the Alpha Chi Sigma Chemistry Student Fraternity (2010-present)
- Principal Investigator and Coordinator of the
ACS Project SEED Summer Research Program for High School Students (2010-present)
- Cuarenta/Cuarenta Club Fellow, The Kaleidoscope Magazine (2011)
- Committee Member of Grants and Awards for the
American Society for Photobiology (2011-present)
- Editorial Board Member of the journal
ISRN Spectroscopy (2012-present)
- Editorial Board Member of the journal
Modern Chemistry & Applications (2013-present)
- NSF Faculty
CAREER Award (2013-2018)
Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship to participate in the 2013 Gordon Research Conference on Photochemistry
High School Students
Past Group Members
The 2007 Crespo Group enjoys summer in Cleveland.
- There are no postdoctoral positions available at this time. Please, visit us in the future for updates.
- Nick joined the group in 2011. He investigates the excite-state dynamics of thiobases using ultrafast laser and electronic spectroscopic techniques.
- Marvin’s research focuses on the excited-state dynamics of sulfur-substituted DNA and RNA base analogues and their UVA-photosensitized reactions with DNA oligomers.
- Prior to graduate work at CWRU, Marvin received his B.S. in Biochemistry from Saginaw Valley State University. His other interests include cooking, camping, music, and sculpture.
- Matt joined the group in December 2012. He investigates the excited-state dynamics in nucleic acid monomers and pterin analogues by using femtosecond pump-probe spectroscopy.
- Regina DiScipio joined the group in November 2013 and her research focuses on the photo-kinetics of novel photovoltaic bulk-herojunction materials.
- Prior to joining Case Western Graduate program, Regina received a B.S. for physics and chemistry at Baldwin-Wallace University. For her undergraduate research she received awards for analytical chemistry from the B-W department and also the American Chemical Society.
- Rick joined the group in January 2015. He is investigating the excited-state dynamics of pterin compounds.
Hikari "Rick" Kitadai
- Kelsie joined the group in 2013.
- Maggie joined the group in Spring 2014.
- Brennan joined the group in Fall 2014
- Andy joined the group in Fall 2014
John "Andy" Landschulz
- Eric joined the group in Spring 2015
High School Students
- Jessica re-joined the group in June 2014 as a ACS Project SEED Summer I Fellow.
- Raymond re-joined the group in June 2014 as a ACS Project SEED Summer II Fellow.
- Erica joined the group in June 2014 as a ACS Project SEED Summer I Fellow.
- Maricruz married Dr. Crespo in August 2006. As of May 2014, she is a Pediatric Gastroenterology Fellow at Case Medical Center Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine.
- As of May 2014, Ariana is seven years old. She loves playing outdoors with her dady and 'baby' brother and learning new things. She also loves go shopping with her mom.
- As of May 2014, Julian is three years old. He is an active young kid who loves playing with his father and big sister. He also loves go shopping with her mom.
Past Group Members
- Amy Sage: Postdoctoral Scholar (02/2008-12/2008). Amy studied the steady-state photophysical properties of selected pharmaceutical compounds in aqueous environments.
- Christian Reichardt: Postdoctoral Scholar (04/2008-02/2011). Christian investigated the ultrafast excited-state dynamics of nitro-policyclic aromatic compounds and nucleic acid analogues in solution.
- Olexandr (Alex) Isayev: Postdoctoral Scholar (04/2009-02/2012). Alex performed theoretical studies of structure-function analysis of E. cloacae nitroreductase as part of a collaborative program with the US Army ERDC, Environmental Laboratory, VIcksburg, MS.
- Qing studied the steady-state and time-resolved photochemistry of 9-nitroanthracene as a graduate student. She graduated with a master degree in Chemistry in May 2011.
- Cao investigated the excited-state dynamics of DNA analogues as a graduate student. He graduated with a master degree in Chemistry in May 2011.
- Chenwei investigated the excited-state dynamics of DNA analogues as a graduate student. He graduated with a master degree in Chemistry in May 2011.
- Aaron investigated the excited-state dynamics and photochemistry of nitro-naphthalene derivatives and of (organophosphine)gold(I) polycyclic aromatic compounds as a graduate student. He graduated with a Ph.D. degree in Chemistry in December 2012.
- Huijuan investigated the excited-state dynamics of Folic Acid and 6-carboxypterin as a graduate student. She graduated with a master degree in Chemistry in July 2013.
- Jeff worked with Leah on the pharmaceutical project as an undergraduate. He graduated with a degree in Chemistry in May of 2008.
- Kim investigated the photophysics of pharmaceutical compounds as an undergraduate. He graduated with a degree in Chemistry in May 2009.
- Brad investigated the photophysics of pharmaceutical compounds as an undergraduate. He graduated in May 2009 with a B.S. in Chemistry and B.A. in Economics.
- Saeed investigated DNA binding interactions with certain nitro-explosives and their derivatives. He graduated with a degree in Chemistry in May 2010.
- Leah investigated the steady-state and time-resolved photochemistry of the pharmaceutical compound Salbutamol as an undergraduate. She graduated with a degree in Chemistry in May 2010.
- Veronica investigated the steady-state photochemistry of the folic acid and 6-carboxypterin as an undergraduate. She graduated with a degree in Chemistry and Music in December 2013.
- Akash investigated the photoconversion efficiency of DNA-based dye-sensitized solar cells. He graduated in December 2014.
- Hannah investigated the photooxidative damage to DNA nucleotides by 6-carboxypterin. She graduated in December 2015.
- María visited our group for three weeks in 2009. She was trained in the use, data collection, and data analysis of femtosecond transient absorption spectroscopy. María performed transient absorption experiments in nitro-polycyclic aromatic compounds as part of her Ph.D. work and of an ongoing collaboration with Dr. Arce from University of Puerto Rico, San Juan Campus.
- Joyann visited the our group during the summer of 2009 to perform research. She was undergraduate student at the Fisk University, Nashville, Tennessee. Joyann investigated the steady-state photochemistry of Salbutamol, which resulted in her becoming a co-author of a peer-reviewed publication in 2011. She also presented her summer research work in several conferences. Joyann joined the Ph.D. program at Virginia Tech University in 2010.
- Lara joined the group on February 4, 2013 as a visiting graduate student from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain. She stayed with the group for two months.
- Luis joined the group on summer 2014 as a visiting summer-research undergraduate student from the University of Puerto Rico at Humacao. He was a fellow of the Case-Fisk Partnership/ACES 2014 Summer Undergraduate Research Program. He stayed with the group for two months.
- Courtney volunteered in the Crespo lab during her senior year (2008) at Revere High School in Bath, Ohio.
- Matthew worked in the Crespo lab as a fellow of the ACS SEED Summer Program in 2010.
- Briana worked in the Crespo lab as a fellow of the ACS SEED Summer Program in 2011 and 2012.
- Omar worked in the Crespo lab as a fellow of the ACS SEED Summer Program in 2012.