- Sleeping bag. Overnight student guests will sleep on the floor of a current student's room. Bring a sleeping bag, pillow, blanket, etc. to make your stay more comfortable. (If you do not have any of these items, you may contact your host for suggestions or contact us!)
- Personal items, including a bath towel and other overnight necessities. Your host may confirm what items to bring.
- Spending money. You will not need to pay for anything while you are on campus, but you should plan to bring some spending money for travel. If you will eat during your flight or drive or in case of emergency during travel, you’ll want to have some spending money. And perhaps you’ll want to grab a souvenir before returning home!
- Comfortable shoes. You’ll be walking a lot so make sure to pack your comfy ones!
Arriving on campus
Check-in for Diversity Overnight begins at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday at the Tinkham Veale University Center (11038 Bellflower Rd., Cleveland, OH 44106). Please find directions to campus here. We recommend that families drop students off first (or drop your luggage off first if you are traveling alone) before parking since the parking location is approximately 10 minutes away from check-in.
CWRU has arranged free parking for you in Lot 46 (East 118th Street, Cleveland, OH 44106). A parking voucher will be emailed to you which you’ll need to print and keep on your dashboard. Please note check-in is a 10-minute walk from the parking garage. You should drop off your luggage first at check-in and then park.
You will be able to keep your car in the garage overnight; there is a 24-hour attendant on duty. Please make sure to allow enough time to park and get to check-in on time as the garage is located about 10 minutes away.
Remember to complete the overnight forms here. Because the forms require your parent or guardian's signature, you will need to complete them ahead of time. Rather than waiting until you arrive, email completed forms to us at email@example.com. (Pictures of completed forms will work fine, as long as they are legible.)
What to pack
- Pack a small bag/suitcase that you can carry on the plane. (Airlines often charge you to check a bag, a cost which CWRU will not reimburse.) Remember to bring something to sleep on for your stay in the residence hall (you'll receive another email with overnight information).
- Do you know about the Liquids Rule when flying? See details here.
- Check the weather forecast before you depart and wear your comfortable shoes. You'll be walking around campus!
At the airport
- Check in to your flight 24 hours ahead of your scheduled departure.
- Plan to get to the airport two hours prior to your flight's departure time.
- You can print your boarding pass from a home computer or at the airport ticketing desk (or download your airline's app to your phone).
- You need to go through a security line to get to your flight gate. Be sure to bring a government issued photo identification which you will have to show at security.
Once you arrive at the Cleveland airport
- Transportation will be provided from the airport to campus, and back to the airport on Monday.
- For students arriving during the scheduled shuttle times, a CWRU representative will plan to meet you at the baggage claim area, Carousel 1 by the USO.
- For students arriving outside our shuttle times, we will contact you directly to make transportation arrangements.
- We will keep an eye on your flight, so don't worry if you are delayed slightly.
- Those whose flights arrive early will come to campus and have the chance to get a bite to eat and explore University Circle with a current student before programming officially begins.
- There will be shuttles leaving from the Tinkham Veale University Center Monday to return you to the airport.
Remember to complete the overnight forms here. Because they require your parent or guardian's signature, you will need to complete them ahead of time. Rather than waiting until you arrive, email completed forms to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Pictures of completed forms will work fine, as long as they are legible.
Inquiries about the event can be directed to email@example.com or 216.368.4450.