The Douglas W. Nock Scholarship is offered through the LGBT Center of Case Western Reserve University.
The Douglas W. Nock Endowment Scholarship provides recognition and financial assistance to outstanding undergraduate students or admitted high school graduates who have advanced the mission of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community at Case Western Reserve University or as a high school student in their community.
- Advanced the mission of the LGBT community while in high school, the LGBT community at Case Western Reserve University, or has shown the desire to advance the mission of the LGBT campus community.
- Enrolled or admitted to Case Western Reserve University as an undergraduate student and be in good academic standing.
- Demonstrate financial need based upon submitted FAFSA forms.
Term of Award
Each scholarship shall be awarded for one academic year. The amount of the award will vary annually contingent on the annual interest from the original endowment. Prior recipients may apply for the award.
Undergraduate students or admitted high school students who meet the criteria will gain full consideration. Preference will be given to undergraduate students with a major in engineering (first preference) or undergraduate students with majors in math or science.
- Applicants meeting the criteria for the Douglas W. Nock Scholarship will be identified by the scholarship sub-committee of the university's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies (LGBTA) Committee and a representative of the Office of Financial Aid.
- The sub-committee shall recommend applicants to the Office of Financial Aid for final consideration based upon financial need.
- The Office of Financial Aid will notify the recipient(s). Recipients will be officially recognized by the LGBT Center during an annual event (e.g. LGBT Center Awards Ceremony, Student Leadership Award Ceremony, and/or Lavender Graduation Celebration), and through media and website releases.