Case Western Reserve University is an independent research university located in Cleveland's University Circle, a square mile urban district of cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions. CWRU holds membership in the Association of American Universities, and is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and by several nationally recognized professional accrediting associations.
Enrollment (fall 2019):
- Undergraduate: 5,383
- Graduate and Professional: 6,491
- Total (headcount, all programs): 11,847
- States represented: 50
- Countries represented: 94
Degrees awarded, 2018-19:
- Undergraduate: 1,157
- Masters: 1,682
- Doctorates: 667
- Certificates: 30
- Total: 3,536
- more than 110,000
- Faculty (full-time, fall 2018): 3,550*
- Staff (full-time and part-time, fall 2018): 3,202
*The faculty counts refer to full-time Board-appointed faculty. These appointments may be tenured, in the tenure track, or non-tenure-track (not tenure eligible), and must be approved by the Board of Trustees.
Board-appointed faculty may be paid through the university or an affiliated hospital. Their rights and responsibilities as CWRU faculty are not determined by the source of their pay, but by their appointment. However, those faculty not paid through CWRU are not considered employees. This is an important distinction for the purpose of certain reports on faculty and staff.
- Library holdings: 4 million volumes
- Campus size: 267 acres located in Cleveland's University Circle, and a 400-acre farm located in Hunting Valley, Ohio.
- Operating budget (2019-20): $1.2 billion
- Endowment funds (market value, June 30, 2018): $1.887 billion
- Gifts and pledges from private sources (2018-19): $182.1 million
- Research revenues (all sources, 2017-18): $408.5 million
- Full-time undergraduate tuition (2019-20): $50,450
- Institutional type (Carnegie classification): Doctoral University (Highest Research Activity)
- Accredited since 1913 by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Student Consumer Information provided in accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act
- Fiscal year: July 1 to June 30
- Barbara R. Snyder, President
- Ben Vinson III, Provost and Executive Vice President
- Deans and Administrators