Following is a brief listing of competitions and events highlighted especially for the CWRU LaunchNet community.
The best way to keep up with events and competitions is through our newsletter. Get our Newsletter!
Check into the CWRU LaunchNet office if you plan to apply, or need related assistance.
- Boeing Innovation Challenge 2019
CWRU Sophomores to graduate students are eligible to participate and compete for a three-day trip to Boeing at Mukilteo, WA (all expenses paid) where they will collaborate with students from other schools in a hackathon-style innovation event, meet Boeing's innovation leaders, and discuss upcoming Boeing internships // About the Challenge, Info Sessions, Application Deadline - Nov 1
- Cleveland Medical Hackathon
This year's Hackathon will focus on 3 key challenges that healthcare and the communities we live in are facing today: Clinician Burnout, Aging in Place, and Mental Health. Organized by Cleveland Clinic, Metro Health, University Hospitals, Case Western Reserve University, BioEnterprise, and HIMSS, and is held in conjunction with Cleveland Clinic’s Medical Innovation Summit. Hackathon participants receive a pass for the summit ( does not include food and social events ) // Oct 19 // Register Today ($10) Cleveland Medical Hackathon
- #SkyHack Design Challenge
SkyHack is a weekend-long event in which students will come together to provide a solution to a challenge or “pain point” relating to the aviation industry. The solution may be a procedure, an idea, an app, a “widget,” an article of clothing, etc. Students from any college or university with any major may participate // $1,000 prize for each challenge (there will be about 5) // $10,000 grand prize// Nov 1 - 3 // The event is FREE, Register Today
- The Impact Fellowship
A 2-week technical fellowship for the next generation of social entrepreneurs // Jan 2 -16, 2020
New York City // Apply
Consider the following entrepreneurial, design and innovation-related events, including lecture series, presentations and seminars, networking activities, news and information exchanges, skill-building opportunities... and more! (Note: While some sites might not be showing current events or open competitions, many are annual: Check back for updated information.)
- Digital Futures Conference
CWRU is partnering with Innovation Research Interchange (IRI) to host the Digital Futures Conference to help companies from around the region transition for success and growth. Among the many insightful speakers are senior executives from Lubrizol, Moen, NASA, McKinsey, Siemens, Goodyear, along with CWRU faculty and alumni // Oct 14-16 // Learn more and register today!
- International Entrepreneurship Applied Research Symposium
Scholars, practitioners and policy makers from around the globe are invited to deliberate the impact of rapidly changing technology, education systems and the global rise of nationalist policies on innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems. The theme of the 2nd International Entrepreneurship Applied Research Symposium is: Building the Entrepreneurship Ecosystem in Changing Times: Technology, Education and Globalization // Oct 24-25 //Register
- The Edmonds E-Talk with Ginger Rothrock
This event will focus on corporate venture capital, manufacturing tech, and women in venture capital and will feature a conversation with Ginger Rothrock, a venture capitalist from HG Ventures. Ginger is a widely recognized multi-industry expert with backgrounds not only in entrepreneurship but also in biomedical manufacturing and chemistry // Nov 6 // RSVP
- Women's Entrepreneurship Day Cleveland
This is an event for entrepreneurs, intrapreneurs, side-hustlers, dreamers and doers. WED Cleveland is bringing together a force of local women in business and nonprofit leadership to spark new ideas and build bridges of support and collaboration // Nov 19 // RSVP
- Global Entrepreneurship Week - NEO 2019
Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) is a yearly, week-longcelebration where entrepreneurs and support organizations have the chance to come together locally and host events and other support initiatives on a global scale. Join Northeast Ohio entrepreneurs, investors, businesses, speakers, students, techies, and creatives for a week of shared inspiration, opportunity, and support. // Nov 18 - Nov 24 // Register
- Data Incubator Data Science Fellowship - For Grads and PhD
- BLK Hack Cleveland - Monthly educational series
- Cleveland Chain Reaction - produced by Cleveland Neighborhood Progress (CNP), the Council of Smaller Enterprises (COSE), and JumpStart
- CWRU Hacker Society Events Calendar
- Economic & Community Development Institute Events
- Erie Hack - Water-focused hackathon
- Global Student Entrepreneur Awards
- Grace Hopper Celebration - Women in Computing
- Halcyon Incubator
- How to ThinkBox Series - Various topics and dates
- IDEA Club Events - Weatherhead grad students host networking with alumni, and other business leaders
- Morgenthaler-Pavey Startup Competition - $25K seed for teams including a CWRU entrepreneurs
- Jumpstart Community Events Calendar
- Youngstown Business Incubator - training workshops, competitions and educational opportunities
- StartMart Community Events Calendar
- Student Startup Madness
- Tech.Co Startup of The Year Events
- TechPint - pop up tech conference held twice a year
- ThinkBox Events - Various topics and dates
- Women in Science and Engineering Roundtable (WISER) Events calendar
- Y Combinator Batch
For the fifth consecutive year, CWRU LaunchNet partnered with Sears think[box] and other campus and area organizations to present CWRU student and alumni enterprises to more than 150,000 CES attendees.
With twelve booths at CES 2019, no other college or university had a bigger presence than CWRU at this world renown technology conference and product launch showcase.