Kurt Stange, MD, PhD
Larry A. Green Center for the Advancement of Primary Health Care for the Public Good (American Board of Family Medicine Foundation), Stange - Co-PI
Goal: to be a creative and high yield force for improving the ability of primary health care and family medicine to advance the health and improve the health care of all Americans through:
- developing conceptualizations and measures of how primary health care advances personal and population health, equity, and sustainability
- leveraging an ongoing formative investment to develop an active research portfolio focused on understanding the mechanisms by which primary health care provides value
- fostering a dynamic, innovative, interdisciplinary interchange among diverse stakeholders for the advancement of primary health care for the health of people, populations and society.
Measuring What Matters in & from the Primary Care Function in Health Care (American Board of Family Medicine Foundation and Family Medicine for America's Health), Stange - Co-PI
We need quality measures able to assess and value primary care while supporting continuous health and aspiration. This project:
Tests the usefulness of a rapid, low-cost, broadly-framed approach to grounded data collection
Defines a simple set of quality indicator areas as identified by primary care clinicians, patients, and other stakeholders
Assesses alignment of identified indicator areas with measurement sets and paradigms currently used in primary care.
Evaluating System Change to Advance Learning and Take Evidence to Scale (ESCALATES) (AHRQ), Stange - Site PI
- engage R18 grantees in the overall evaluation by harmonizing measures, working together to collect similar qualitative and quantitative data, identify lessons learned, and foster rapid cycle learning
- identify the practice, organization, and contextual factors among the combined 2,000 practices that are associated with meeting ABCS performance goals at baseline (prior to any intervention)
- identify which intervention strategies are most effective in improving ABCS performance goals/targets over time in relation to practice, organization, and contextual factors and identify why some strategies are more effective
- engage, rapidly disseminate, and evaluate the impact of disseminating actionable findings to key external stakeholders
Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care for Comorbid Behavioral and Medical Problems (University of Vermont), Stange - Co-Investigator, Site PI
Investigate whether increased integration of evidence supported behavioral health and primary care services, compared to simple co-location of providers, improves outcomes.
Case Comprehensive Cancer Center Support Grant (NIH/NCI), Stange - Co-Director, Multimethod Cancer Outcomes Research Shared Resource
- improve the prevention, diagnosis, and therapy of cancer through research
- stimulate and support innovative, coordinated, interdisciplinary research on cancer diagnosis, treatment, and control
- develop clinical applications of research discoveries and make these applications available as quickly as possible
- develop cancer prevention and control activities to contribute to the reduction of cancer morbidity and mortality in Northeast Ohio and the surrounding region and nation
Involving Communities in Delivering and Disseminating Health Disparity Interventions (NIMHD), Stange - Co-I and co-leader of Project 2
Combine research, career development, and community partnership activities to engage communities in delivering and disseminating health disparity interventions to enhance the innovation, potency, relevance, and sustainability of efforts to reduce health disparities.
Heidi Gullett, MD, MPH
Supporting Communities in Achieving Equity and Better Health (REACH); Health Improvement Partnership - Cuyahoga (HIP-Cuyahoga), (Centers for Disease Control), Gullett – PI
This program aims to improve health, prevent chronic diseases, and reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic populations with the highest risk, or burden, of chronic disease, specifically for African Americans/Blacks, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islanders, American Indians, and Alaska Natives, by:
- Supporting culturally tailored interventions to address the preventable health behaviors of tobacco use, poor nutrition and physical inactivity;
- Linking community and clinical efforts to increase access to health care and preventive care programs at the community level; and
- Supporting implementation, evaluation and dissemination of practice- and evidence-based strategies related to tobacco, nutrition, physical activity, and community-clinical linkages that ultimately lead to reduced health disparities in chronic conditions.
Primary Care as Social Capital (The Institute for Integrative Health) Gullett - PI
Elucidating the value of primary care in cultivating social capital as a means for movement out of poverty has the potential to serve as a key element of broadly characterizing and redesigning the role of primary care as a force for integration in the US health system. This project aims to:
Understand the way primary care has changed over the last 5 decades and elucidate the forces driving those changes.
Identify the key primary care mechanisms and environments that foster bonding, bridging, and linking social capital among individuals and communities.
- Interactively communicate findings from the above to cultivate pathways toward an integrated, equitable health
Getting Ahead for Cancer Control (ACS), Gullett – PI
Determine whether the Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By-World curriculum impacts improved health behaviors and increases the use of clinical preventive services when implemented among cohorts of primary care patients in local community health centers who are living in generational poverty. Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin’-By World is a well-established curriculum that helps individuals in poverty build their resources for a more prosperous life for themselves, their families and their communities.
Johnie Rose, MD, PhD
Multi-Level Interventions to Reduce Caries Disparities in Primary Care Settings (NIH/NIDCR), Rose - Co-Investigator
Implementing and assessing an intervention at the practice and provider level to increase preventive and restorative dental service utilization for children insured by Ohio Medicaid.