Dr. Durand's research is in the area of Neural Engineering. Neural Engineering is a new discipline at the interface between engineering and neuroscience. In the Durand's Laboratory, research topics combines computational neuroscience, engineering and electrophysiology to solve problems in the central and peripheral nervous systems.
In the central nervous system, the focus is on epilepsy and electrical stimulation of the brain. In particular, the mechanisms of synchronization of neuronal activity during epilepsy are investigated using in-vitro brain slice preparations, in-vivo multiple electrode recording and computer models. The interaction between applied currents and neuronal tissue are studied to determine the feasibility of controlling seizures in patients with epilepsy.
In the peripheral nervous system, the focus is on neural interfacing with the peripheral nervous system and the development of neural prostheses. The goal is to restore function in patients with stroke of spinal cord injury and to provide voluntary control of artificial limbs to patients with amputation. Novel nerve electrodes are being developed capable of stimulating and recording neuronal activity selectively.
- Founding Editor, Journal of Neural Engineering
- Nicholas Couturier and Dominique M Durand, Comparison of fiber tract low frequency stimulation to focal and ANT stimulation in an acute rat model of focal cortical seizures: 13, 499-506, Brain Stimulation, 2020 PMCID: PMC6989356
- Yi-JenWu, Miao-ErChien, Chih-HsuHuang, Chia-ChuChiang, Chou-ChingLin, Chin-WeiHuang, Dominique M. Durand, Kuei-SenHsu, Transcranial direct current stimulation alleviates seizure severity in kainic acid-induced status epilepticus rats, Experimental Neurology, Volume 328, 113264, 2020
- Grant A. McCallum, Jay Shiralkar, Diana Suciu, Gil Covarrubias, Jennifer S Yu, Efstathios Karanathanasis and Dominique Durand, Chronic neural activity recorded within breast tumors, ScienceReports, volume 10, Article number: 14824 (2020) PMCID: PMC7481786. Media Reports: RealClear Science: https://flip.it/uJAca7
- Matthew D. Johnson, Yazan Dweiri, Jason Cornelius, Kingman P. Strohl, Armin Steffen, Maria Suurna, Michael Coleman, John Rondoni, Dominique Durand, Quan Ni Model-based analysis of implanted hypoglossal nerve stimulation for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea, SLEEP, In Press, 2020.
- Joseph T. Marmerstein, Grant A. McCallum, DominiqueM. Durand, Direct measurement of vagal tone in rats does not show correlation to HRV, ScienceReports, 1210 (2021)
- Yi-Jen Wu, Miao-Er Chien, Chia-Chu Chiang, Ying-Zu Huang, Dominique M. Durand, Kuei-Sen Hsu: Delta oscillation underlies the interictal spike changes after repeated transcranial direct current stimulation in a rat model of chronic seizures. In Press, 2021
- Rajat S. Shivacharan, Chia-Chu Chiang, Xile Wei, Muthumeenakshi Subramanian, Nicholas H. Couturier, Nrupen Pakalapati, Dominique M. Durand: Neural recruitment by ephaptic coupling Volume 62, Issue7, Epilepsia 2021
- Joseph T. Marmerstein, Grant A. McCallum, Dominique M. Durand Decoding vagus nerve activity with carbon nanotube sensors in freely moving rodents, Biosensors-1569057, 2022
- Ryosuke Mori, Hiroyuki Mino and Dominique Durand: Pulse-Frequency-Dependent Resonance in a Population of Pyramidal Neuron Models, Biological Cybernetics, In Press, 2022
- Mohamad Z. Koubeissi, MD, MA; et al. Low Frequency Stimulation of a Fiber Tract in Bilateral Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Epilepsy and Behavior, 130, 108667, 2022
- Muthumeenakshi Subramanian, BE; Chia-Chu Chiang; Nicholas Couturier Theta waves, neural spikes and seizures can propagate by ephaptic coupling in vivo, in Press, Experimental Neurology, 2022
- Yazan Dweiri, Mousa Al-Zanina, and Dominique M Durand. Enhanced Automatic Morphometry of Nerve Histological Sections Using Ensemble Learning, Electronics, In Press, 2022
- CC Chiang and DM Durand Subthreshold OscillatingWaves in Neural Tissue Propagate by Volume Conduction and Generate Interference, Brain Sciences, 10.3390/brainsci13010074, 2022