Mixed-Income Must-Read Articles
If you care about or want to learn more about these topics, jump to the articles below:
- A Good Place to Start
- Mixed-income as a Strategy for Addressing Urban Poverty
- Race, Equity, and Anti-Racism
- Social integration and Inclusion
- Resident Services
- Book Selections
A Good Place to Start
- Public Housing Redevelopment as a Tool for Revitalizing Neighborhoods: How and Why Did it Happen and What Have We Learned? 2006. Mindy Turbov
- The theoretical basis for addressing poverty through mixed-income development. 2007. Mark L. Joseph, Robert J. Chaskin, and Henry S. Webber
- All Mixed Up: Making Sense of Mixed-Income Housing Developments. 2017. Lawrence J. Vale and Shomon Shamsuddin.
- Contested space: Design principles and regulatory regimes in mixed-income communities in Chicago. 2015. Robert J. Chaskin and Mark L. Joseph.
- The Power of Intentional Networks in Mixed-Income Housing. 2015. Frankie Blackburn.
- The Enduring Significance of Race in Mixed-Income Developments. 2014. Amy T. Khare, Mark L. Joseph and Robert J. Chaskin.
- Can San Francisco Get Mixed-Income Public Housing Redevelopment Right? 2016. Mark L. Joseph, Nancy Latham, Rachel G. Kleit, and Steven LaFrance.
- Mixed-income developments. In The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Urban and Regional Studies. Mark L. Joseph and Miyoung Yoon.
- Confirmations, New Insights, and Future Implications for HOPE VI Mixed-Income Redevelopment.2019. Taryn Gress, Mark Joseph and Seungjong Cho
Mixed-income as a Strategy for Addressing Urban Poverty
- Cityscape mixed-income symposium summary and response: Implications for antipoverty policy. 2013. Mark L. Joseph
- Making mixed-income neighborhoods work for low-Income households. 2013. James C. Fraser, Robert J. Chaskin, and Joshua T. Bazuin
- Market-driven public housing reforms: Inadequacy for poverty alleviation. 2013. Amy T. Khare
- Mixed-Income living : Anticipated and realized benefits for low-income households. 2013. Diane K. Levy, Zach McDade, and Kassie, Bertumen
Race, Equity, and Anti-Racism
- Advancing Racial Equity in Housing and Community Development: An Anti-Racism Guide for Transformative Change. 2021. Amy Khare and Stephanie Reyes.
- Advancing Racial Equity in Inclusionary Housing Programs: A Guide for Policy and Practice. 2021. Stephanie Reyes and Amy Khare.
- The HOPE SF Racial Equity and Reparations Guide. 2020. Amy Khare, Mark Joseph, and Theodore Miller, Jr.
Social Integration and Inclusion
- Mixed-Income Community Dynamics: Five Insights From Ethnography Spring 2013. Evidence Matters; HUD Office of Policy Development & Research (PD&R)
- Building “Community” in Mixed-Income Developments: Assumptions, Approaches, and Early Experiences. 2009. Robert J. Chaskin and Mark L. Joseph
- Addressing Social Segregation in Mixed-Income Communities. 2015. Derek Hyra
- More than Bricks and Mortar: Neighborhood Frames, Social Processes, and the Mixed-Income Redevelopment of a Public Housing Project. 2009. Laura M. Tach
- HOPE VI new communities: Neighborhood relationships in mixed-income housing. 2005. Rachel G. Kleit
- The Structuring of Urban Life in a Mixed-Income Housing “Community”. 2010. Erin M. Graves
- Gentrification and social mixing: Towards an inclusive urban renaissance? 2008. Loretta Lees
- 4 Groups that Need to Change to Make Mixed-Income Communities Work. 2016. Bill Traynor and Frankie Blackburn
- Youth in mixed-income communities replacing public housing complexes: Context, dynamics and response. 2013. Robert J. Chaskin, Florian Sichling, and Mark L. Joseph
- Let’s Get Rid of the Words “Property” and “Manager”. 2016. Frankie Blackburn
- Mixed-income developments and low rates of return: Insights from relocated public housing residents in Chicago. 2012. Mark L. Joseph and Robert J. Chaskin
- Public housing transformation and the hard‐to‐house. 2005. Susan Popkin, Mary K. Cunningham, and Martha Burt
- The Imagined Self-Sufficient Communities of HOPE VI: Examining the Community and Social Support Component. 2014. Deirdre Oakley, James Fraser, and Joshua Bazuin
- Integrating the Inner City: The Promise and Perils of Mixed-Income Public Housing Transformation. 2015. Robert J. Chaskin and Mark L. Joseph
- No Simple Solutions: Transforming Public Housing in Chicago. 2016. Susan Popkin
- Cityscape. The Office of Policy Development and Research (PD&R) of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).