Pursuing a graduate education can be consuming. Navigating a new country? Well, that can be a greater challenge. International Students Services in the Center for International Affairs provides resources for new students to make your move to Cleveland seamless.
Academic English Proficiency Program (AEP)
The AEP Program is designed for promising international graduate students to receive English language development needed to raise language scores on the TOEFL or IELTS tests exams. Students will be admitted provisionally and will take 1-2 full time (9 credit hours) modules depending on their language score. Students must finish all requirements for the program and score a 90 or above on the TOEFL at the end of the module in order to be fully admitted to the program. After successfully completing the course, you will also receive a Certificate to list on your resume at the conclusion of the program.
Please note that students cannot simply sign up for this program. Your application for admission is submitted online and reviewed by the department. If they decide to proceed with the admit but the TOEFL or IELTS score is lower than the minimum standards, then the AEP program can be an option to proceed with admission.
Please see the Center for International Affairs website about the AEP Program or email AEPinfo@case.edu for more information.
Submitting Transcripts & Degree Certification
Transcripts or degree certifications in languages other than English, must be accompanied by an English translation. If accepted, the School of Graduate Studies will need official copies of both the English and original language version submitted, not just the English version. Scanned copies sent by email or PDF are not considered official; official copies must be in a sealed envelope from the university or come via encrypted email directly from the university.
All transcripts, degree certifications and translations will become the property of the School of Graduate Studies. Do not send official transcripts until you have been formally accepted.
* We understand that some international universities take a substantial amount of time to certify degrees. If you are accepted and cannot produce a transcript with degree verification due to a delay in your school's processing times, please contact the School of Graduate Studies.
Language Scores (TOEFL, IELTS and PTE)
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based: 90
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) paper-based: 577
International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
Pearson Test of English (PTE): 61
* Note: Some departments (Art History & Museum Studies, Biomedical Engineering, Engineering and Management, STEP Entrepreneurship Program) require a higher score of 100 on the TOEFL exam, check with your department to determine if they require a higher score.
* Applicants that do not meet the minimum required scores above can still apply to CWRU. But first, consult with the department which you intend to apply to discuss your options for participating in the AEP Program sponsored through the Center for International Affairs (also see above). However, the minimum scores to participate in that program are a 75 iBT TOEFL or 6.0 IELTS.
No, International Student Services will process all paperwork related to your travel and stay in the U.S. You will hear from ISS after you receive your official letter (via email) from the School of Graduate Studies and Accept our offer of admission. ISS will communicate with students via email or the New Student Checklist when it becomes available.
Possibly. There are three ways to qualify for a waiver of the language score requirement:
- If you graduated with a bachelors or higher from a U.S. institution, the score requirement will be waived upon receipt of the transcripts with degree verification.
- If you graduated from a school outside of the U.S. that the instruction was in English. You must be able to provide a transcript stating this or a letter from that school.
- If your home country's primary spoken language is English.
* Please note there is no waiver for the PhD in Organizational Behavior.