Mission, Vision and Values
At Case Western Reserve University, our mission, vision and values are more than just words. They drive who we are and who we want to be. They advance what we study and how. They shape our community, both on campus and off.
And they propel us, every day, to think big—and think beyond the possible.
Case Western Reserve University improves and enriches people’s lives through research that capitalizes on the power of collaboration and education that dramatically engages our students.
We realize this goal through:
- Scholarship and creative endeavor that draws on all forms of inquiry.
- Learning that is active, creative and continuous.
- Promotion of an inclusive culture of global citizenship.
We aim to be recognized internationally as an institution that imagines and influences the future. Toward that end we will:
- Support advancement of thriving disciplines as well as new areas of interdisciplinary excellence.
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills and experiences necessary to become leaders in a world characterized by rapid change and increasing interdependence.
- Nurture a community of exceptional scholars who are cooperative and collegial, functioning in an atmosphere distinguished by support, mentoring and inclusion.
- Pursue distinctive opportunities to build on our special features, including our relationships with world-class healthcare, cultural, educational, and scientific institutions in University Circle and across greater Cleveland.
Our four areas of focus guide our decision-making to ensure we make a measurable impact at Case Western Reserve—and far beyond.
Academic Excellence & Impact
- Eminence in teaching and research
- Scholarship that changes lives and deepens understanding
- Creativity and innovation as hallmarks of our efforts
Inclusiveness & Diversity
- Civility and the free exchange of ideas
- Civic and international engagement
- Appreciation for the distinct perspectives and talents of each individual
Integrity & Transparency
- Academic freedom and responsibility
- Ethical behavior
- Shared governance
- Strong, ongoing financial planning
- Emphasis on sustainability
- Systems that support attainment of our mission