Mission, Vision + Core Values
Case Western Reserve University improves and enriches people's
lives through research that capitalizes on the power of
collaboration, and education that dramatically engages our
We realize this goal through:
Scholarship and creative endeavor that draws on all forms of
- Learning that is active, creative and continuous.
- Promotion of an inclusive culture of global citizenship.
We aim to be recognized internationally as an institution that
imagines and influences the future. Toward that end we will:
Support advancement of thriving disciplines as well as new areas
of interdisciplinary excellence.
Provide students with the knowledge, skills and experiences
necessary to become leaders in a world characterized by rapid
change and increasing interdependence.
Nurture a community of exceptional scholars who are cooperative
and collegial, functioning in an atmosphere distinguished by
support, mentoring and inclusion.
Pursue distinctive opportunities to build on our special
features, including our relationships with world-class health
care, cultural, educational, and scientific institutions in
University Circle and across greater Cleveland.
Academic Excellence and Impact
- Eminence in teaching and research
Scholarship that changes lives and deepens understanding
- Creativity and innovation as hallmarks of our efforts
Inclusiveness and Diversity
- Civility and the free exchange of ideas
- Civic and international engagement
Appreciation for the distinct perspectives and talents of each
Integrity and Transparency
- Academic freedom and responsibility
- Ethical behavior
- Shared governance
- Strong, ongoing financial planning
- Emphasis on sustainability
- Systems that support attainment of our mission