ID Cards


Please read the policies before obtaining or requesting an ID card for any CWRU affiliated individual.

Photo Made Simple

You can use your own photo or have it taken at Access Services, Crawford Hall, Room 18.

CWRU ID Photo Requirements

Find out the requirements for a CWRU ID photo.

Need a Replacement ID?

Stolen IDs are replaced for free (when accompanied with full police report, pending circumstance), but lost cards cost $25 via CaseCash, cash, check, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. To replace, go to Access Services with a government-issued photo ID such as driver's license, passport, or state ID. Students must be enrolled and fees must be paid in order to obtain new ID.

CWRU ID Cards (CaseOneCards) are available to:

  • students enrolled in a degree program or a summer session.
  • full-time and part-time employees receiving benefits from the university.
  • participants in special programs sponsored by a university department.

Visiting faculty and staff and contracted employees may receive an ID card with written authorization from their department or Human Resources and justification for needing the ID.

The CWRU ID Card, or CaseOneCard, puts many features on one card, including:

  • Identification
  • Library Circulation Privileges
  • Building Access
  • Meal Plans and CaseCash
  • CaseCharge
  • Access to recreational facilities
  • Access to assigned parking facilities
  • Student access/membership to public attractions

CWRU owns all ID cards. They are used as identification and for access to places/services. The card is non- transferable and must be presented to show university affiliation. ID card holders are responsible for loss or expense resulting from loss, theft or misuse of card. The ID card must be returned upon termination of enrollment, employment or affiliation with the university. Any misuse, alteration or fabrication of the card subjects the holder to disciplinary action by the university.

Name Changes on CWRU ID Card

There is a $25.00 fee to change the name on any CWRU ID card, for any reason. 

Change of Last Name


For a faculty or staff member to receive a new CWRU ID card from Access Services with their updated name, they must bring an ID authentication form from Human Resources that reflects the change(s) to be made to their name.


For a student to receive a new CWRU ID card from Access Services with their updated name, they must first update their name with the Registrar’s Office (Yost 135). Please wait 48 business hours before coming to Access Services to receive the new CWRU ID card. This allows time for all systems to update and the changes to be reflected.

Preferred Name

Students may add or change a preferred name on their CWRU ID card, but first must make the change(s) by visiting the Registrar's Office. Please wait 48 business hours after entering your preferred first name into SIS (Student Information System) before requesting a new CWRU ID card from Access Services. This ensures that our information systems will be updated with your preferred first name so that a new ID card can be issued.

Once the system updates, students may go to Access Services and request a replacement CWRU ID card with their preferred name printed on the card. Students must take a new photo if the one on file is more than two years old. Students may upload a photo of their choice online by clicking the link on the upper right side of this page titled: Submit Photo Online. All customers must surrender their current CWRU ID card according to Access Services ID card policy.

When a preferred name is used for a CWRU ID card, it will be printed on the front of the ID card. The legal name will then print on the reverse side of the ID card.