Discover resources for information on Tibetan flora, fauna and the environment from the Center for Research on Tibet at Case Western Reserve University.
Anderson, D.; Salick, J.; Moseley, R.; and Xiaokun, Ou
- Conserving the Sacred Medicine Mountains: A Vegetation Analysis of Tibetan Sacred Sites in Northwest Yunnan.
[Global Change Biology 11(9): 1440-1451]
Biodiversity of the Hengduan Mountains Region, China
Chen, Shenbin; Liu, Yunfang; and Axel, Thomas
- Climate Change on the Tibetan Plateau: Potential Evapotranspiration Trends from 1961-2000
[Climatic Change 76, 291–319 (2006).]
Cheng, Guodong and Wu, Tonghua
- Responses of Permafrost to Climate Change and their Environmental Significance, Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
[Journal of Geophysical Research, 112: 2007.]
Chu, Duo; Lu, Lixin; and Zhang, Tingjun
- Sensitivity of Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) to Seasonal and Interannual Climate Conditions in the Lhasa Area, Tibetan Plateau, China
[Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 39(4):635-641, 2007]
- Climate Change: The Long-Range Forecast
[Nature 438, 275-276 (17 November 2005)]
Dawa, Tsering and Farrington, John D.
- Conflict Between Nomadic Herders and Brown Bears in the Byang Thang Region of Tibet
[JIATS, no. 4 (December 2008), THL #T5557, 42 pp.]
Du, Mingyuan; Kawashima, Shigeto; Yonemura, Seiichiro; Zhang, Xianzhou; and Chen, Shenbin
- Mutual Influence Between Human Activities and Climate Change in the Tibetan Plateau During Recent Years.
[Global and Planetary Change 41 (2004) 241–249]
- Biodiversity Protection and the Search for Sustainability in Tibetan Plateau Grasslands.
[PhD dissertation. Arizona State University, Tempe, USA. 397pp. 2000]
- Building New Partnerships for Conservation and Sustainable Development in the Tibetan Plateau Region: Recent Experiences in the Yangtze River Headwaters.
[Plenary paper: First International Conference on Environment & Development in West China, May 2004]
- Highland Encounters: Building New Partnerships for Conservation and Sustainable Development in the Yangtze River Headwaters, heart of the Tibetan Plateau.
[Innovative Communities: People-centered Approaches to Environmental Management in the Asia-Pacific Region. Tokyo, Japan: UNU Press. 360 pp. 2005]
Fox, Joseph L.; Yangzong, Ciren; Dhondup, Kelsang; Dorji, Tsechoe; and Richard, Camille
- Biodiversity Conservation and Pastoralism on the Northwest Tibetan Plateau: Coexistence or Conflict? [JIATS, no. 4 (December 2008), THL #T5558, 21 pp]
Frauenfeld, Oliver; Zhang, Tingjun; and Serreze, Mark
- Climate Change and Variability Using European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts Reanalysis (ERA-40) Temperatures on the Tibetan Plateau
[Journal of Geophysical Research, VOL. 110, 2005]
Gasse, F.; Fontes, J.Ch.; Van Campo, E.; and Wei, K.
- Holocene Environmental Changes in Bangong Co Basin (Western Tibet). Part 4: Discussion and Conclusions.
[Paleogeography, Paleoclimatology, Paleoecology 120 (1996) 79-92.]
Gao, Y.H.; Luo, P.; Wu, N.; Chen, H.; and Wang, G.X.
- Grazing Intensity Impacts on Carbon Sequestration in an Alpine Meadow on the Eastern Tibet Plateau
[Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, 3(6): 642-647, 2007]
Heine, Erwin; Kriechbaum, Monika; and Suppan, Franz
- Assessment of the Condition of High Altitude Pastures in South Tibet
[Grazer Schriften der Geographie und Raumforschung Band 43 / 2007; p193-200]
Johnson, Douglas; Holzworth, Larry; and Miller, Daniel
Klein, Julia A.; Harte, J.; and Zhao, X.Q.
- Dynamic and Complex Microclimate Responses to Warming and Grazing Manipulations
[Global Change Biology 11(9): 1440-1451]
Law, Wayne; Salick, Jan
- Comparing Conservation Priorities for Useful Plants Among Botonists and Tibetan Doctors
[Biodivers Conserv DOI 10.1007/s10531-006-9057-2, April 2006]
- Human-induced Dwarfing of Himalayan Snow Lotus, Saussurea laniceps (Asteraceae)
[PNAS 2005; 102;10218-10220, July 2005]
Li, X.R.; Jia, X.H.; and Dong, G.R.
- Influence of Desertification on Vegetation Pattern Variations in the Cold Semi-Arid Grasslands on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, Northwest China.
[Journal of Arid Environments 64 (2006) 505–522]
Liu, Jianguo and Diamond, Jared
- China's Environment in a Globalizing World
[Nature 435, 1179-1186 (30 June 2005)]
Lu, Qingshui and Zhao, Zhiping
- Eco-immigration Policy for the Degraded Rangeland and Responses of Herd Family in the Source Region of Yellow River - Case Study Based on Household Investigation in Maduo County.
[Progress in Geography. Vol. 27 No. 3. May 2008]
Meihe, Georg; Miehe, Sabine; Vogel, Jonas; Co, Sonam; and Duo, La
- Highest Treeline in the Northern Hemishpere Found in Southern Tibet
[Mountain Research and Development, Vol. 27, No. 2., May 2007, pp.169-173]
- Searching for Grass and Water: Rangeland Ecosystem Sustainability and Climate Change on the TIbetan Plateau
- Initiatives: New Views of the Tibetan Plateau and Himalaya for Conserving Biodiversity
[Mountain Forum Bulletin July 2009, p56-58]
- The Tibetan Steppe
[Grasslands of the World, Chapter 8; p305-342]
Oelke, Christoph and Zhang, Tingjun
- Modeling the Active-Layer Depth over the Tibetan Plateau.
[Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2007, pp. 714–722]
Rikiishi, Kunio and Nakasato, Haruka
- Height Dependence of the Tendency for Reduction in Seasonal Snow Cover in the Himalaya and Tibetan Plateau Region, 1966-2001
[Annals of Glaciology 43. 2006.p369]
Salick, Jan; Yongping, Yang; and Amend, Anthony
- Tibetan Land Use and Change Near Khawa Karpo, Eastern Himalayas
[Economic Botany 59(4).312-325, 2005]
Salick, J.; Byg, A.; Amend, A.; Gunn, B.; Law, W.; and Schmidt, H.
- Tibetan Medicine Plurality
[Economic Botany 60(3):227–253, 2006]
Salick, J.; Amend, A.;Anderson, D.; Hoffmeister, K.; Gunn, B.;and Zhendong, F.
- Tibetan Sacred Sites Conserve Old Growth Trees and Cover in Eastern Himalayas
[Global Change Biology 11(9): 1440-1451]
Schaller, George B.; Binyuan, Gu
- Ungulates in Northwest Tibet
[National Geographic Research & Exploration. 10(3): 266-293. 1994.]
Shang, Zhanhuan and Long, Ruijun
- Formation Causes and Recovery of the "Black Soil Type" Degraded Alpine Grassland in Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau
[Front. Agric. China, 1(2): 197–202. 2007]
Shaoling, Wang; Huijun, Jin; Shuxun, Li; and Lin, Zhao
- Permafrost Degradation on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau and its Environmental Impacts
[Permafrost Periglac. Process. 11: 43-53 (2000)]
Smith, Andrew and Foggin, J.M.
- The Plateau Pika (Ochotona curzoniae) is a Keystone Species for Biodiversity on the Tibetan Plateau
[Animal Conservation (1999) 2, 235–240. 1999]
Wang, Genxu; Li, Yuanshou; Cheng, Huiyan; and Wang, Yibo
- Influences of Alpine Ecosystem Responses to Climate Change on Soil Properties on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, China.
[Catena 70 (2007) 506–514]
Wang, Genxu; Li, Yuanshou; Hu, Hongchang; and Wang, Yibo
- Synergistic Effect of Vegetation and Air Temperature Changes on Soil Water Content In Alpine Frost Meadow Soil in the Permafrost Region of Qinghai-Tibet.
[Hydrol. Process. 22, 3310–3320 (2008)]
Wang, Hui; Zhou, Xiaolei; Wan, Changgui; Fu, Hua; Zhang, Feng; and Ren, Jizhou
- Eco-Environmental Degradation in the Northeastern Margin of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau and Comprehensive Ecological Protection Planning.
[Environ Geol (2008) 55:1135–1147]
Wang, Xiuhong; Zheng, Du; and Shen, Yuancun
- Land Use Change and its Driving Forces on the Tibetan Plateau During 1990-2000.
[Catena 72 (2008) 56–66]
- Yartsa Gunbu (Cordyceps sinensis) and the Fungal Commodification of Tibet's Rural Economy.
[Economic Botany. 62 (3), November 2008]
- The Return of the Cuckoo or Morels in Tibet.
[Mushroom - The Journal of Wild Mushrooming. 87, vol 25.4:5-8]
- Cordyceps sinensis (Berk.) Sacc: Economy, Ecology & Ethno-mycology of Yartsa Gunbu, a Medicinal Fungus Endemic to the Tibetan Plateau [Abstract of Presentation]
[International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. 7.3: 481-482]
- Yartsa Gunbu - Cordyceps sinensis. Economy, Ecology & Ethno-mycology of a Fungus Endemic to the Tibetan Plateau
[A. Boesi & F. Cardi (eds.). Wildlife and plants in traditional and modern Tibet: Conceptions, Exploitation and Conservation. Memorie della Societa Italiana di Scienze Naturali e del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Milano, Vol. 33.1: 69-85]
- Matsutake Mycelium Under Attack in Southwest China. How the Mushrooming Trade Mines it's Resorce and How to Achieve Sustainability
- Forest Use and Implications of the 1998 Logging Ban in the Tibetan Prefectures of Sichuan: Case Study on Forestry, Reforestation and NTFP in Litang County, Ganzi TAP, China.
[The Ecological Basis and Sustainable Management of Forest Resources (eds. Z. Jiang, M. Centritto, S. Liu, and S. Zhang). Informatore Botanico Italiano 35 (Supplemento 2), 116-125]
- Participation in Forestry in Tibetan Southwest China. A Strategy to Resolve Resource Use Conflicts.
[slightly abbreviated version, Mountain Research and Development. 22.4: 397-399]
- Major Threats to Tibetan Forest Ecosystems and Strategies for Forest Biodiversity Conservation
[Tibet's Biodiversity - Conservation and Management. WWF China Programme / TAR Forestry Bureau International Workshop, Lhasa, September 1998, China Forestry Publishing House, Beijing, 62-67 (and inside cover photos).]
- Patterns of Forest Distribution and the Impact of Fire and Pastoralism in the Forest Region of the Tibetan Plateau
[G. Miehe & Zhang Yili (eds.): Environmental Change in High Asia, Marburger Geogr. Schriften 135, 201-227]
- Forestry, Floods, and Hydroelectricity - China's National Natural Forest Protection Project and it's Impact on Tibetan Areas
[Sinosphere Volume 3, Issue 2, published at http://chinaenvironment.net
- Deforestation in Eastern Tibet: Human Impact - Past and Present
[G.E. Clarke (ed.) Development, Society and Environment in Tibet, Papers Presented at the Panel of the 7th Seminar Intern. Assoc. for Tibetan Studies (IATS) Graz 1995. Proc. 7th Seminar IATS, vol.5, Vienna, 79-96]
- The Forests of the Eastern Part of the Tibetan Plateau. A Case Study from Jiuzhaigou (Zitsa Degu; NNW-Sichuan).
[Plant Research and Development 47/48, Focus: Forest Management and Sustainability, 184-210]
- Forests, Forest Economy and Deforestation in the Tibetan Prefectures of West-Sichuan
[Commonwealth Forestry Review 75.4, p. 295-301]
- The Mushrooming Fungi Market in Tibet Exemplified by Cordyceps sinensis and Tricholoma matsutake
[JIATS (Journal of the International Association of Tibet Studies). Special Issue. Guest eds. Ken Bauer, Geoff Childs, Andrew Fischer, and Daniel Winkler. "In the Shadow of the Leaping Dragon: Demography, Development, and the Environment in Tibetan Areas." Issue 4. December 2008]
Worthy, F.R. and Foggin, J.M.
- Conflicts Between Local Villages and Tibetan Brown Bears (Ursus arctos) Threaten Conservation of Bears in a Remote Region of the Tibetan Plateau.
[Human-Wildlife Conflicts. 2(2): 200-205.]
Wu, Qingbai; Dong, Xianfu; Liu, Yongzhi; and Jin, Huijun
- Responses of Permafrost on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, China, to Climate Change and Engineering Constructions.
[Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2007, pp. 682–687]
- China's Environmental Challenges: A Green Fervor Sweeps the Tibetan Plateau.
[Science 1 August 2008: Vol. 321. no. 5889, pp. 633 - 635]
Xu, Weixin and Liu, Xiaodong
- Response of Vegetation in the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau to Global Warming.
[Chinese Geographical Science 2007 17(2) 151–159]
Yang, M.; Wang, S.; Yao, T.; Gou, X.; Lu, A.; and Guo, X.
- Desertification and its Relationship with Permafrost Degradation in Qinghai-Xizang (Tibet) Plateau.
[Cold Regions Science and Technology 39 (2004) 47– 53](.pdf)
Yang, Wei; Yao, TanDong; Xu, BaiQing; Wu, GuangJian and Xin, XiaoDong
- Quick Ice Mass Loss and Abrupt Retreat of the Maritime Glaciers in the Kangri Karpo Mountains,Southeast Tibetan Plateau.
[Chinese Science Bulletin, Volume 53, Number 16. August 2008.]
Yao, Tandong; Pu, Jianchen; Lu, Anxin; Wang, Youqing; and Yu, Wusheng
- Recent Glacial Retreat and its Impact on Hydrological Processes on the Tibetan Plateau, China, and Surrounding Regions
[Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2007, pp. 642–650]
Zeng, Yongnian; Feng, Zhaodong; and Cao, Guangchao
- Land Cover Change and its Environmental Impact in the Upper Reaches of the Yellow River,Northeast Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau
[Mountain Research and Development, Vol. 23, No. 4 (Nov., 2003), pp. 353-361]
Zhang, Jiahua; Yao, Fengmei; Zheng, Lingyun; and Yang, Limin
- Evaluation of Grassland Dynamics in the Northern-Tibet Plateau of China Using Remote Sensing and Climate Data.
[Sensors 2007, 7, 3312-3328]
- Perspectives on Environmental Study of Response to Climatic and Land Cover/Land Use Change Over the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau: An Introduction.
[Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, Vol. 39, No. 4, 2007, pp. 631–634]
Zhang, Yanming; Zhang, Zhibin; and Liu, Jike
- Burrowing Rodents as Ecosystem Engineers: The Ecology and Management of Plateau Zokers Myospalax fontanierii in Alpine Meadow Ecosystems on the Tibetan Plateau
[Mammal Rev. 2003, Volume 33, No. 3, 284–294.]
Zhang, Yanquin and Welker, Jeffrey
- Tibtetan Alpine Tundra Responses to Simulated Changes in Climate: Aboveground Biomass and Community Responses.
[Arctic and Alpine Research, Vol. 28, No. 2, 1996, pp. 203-209.]
Zhao, Lin; Ping, Chien-Lu; Yang, Daqing; Cheng, Guodong; Ding, Yongjian; and Liu, Shiyin
- Changes of Climate and Seasonally Frozen Ground Over the Past 30 Years in Qinghai-Xizang (Tibet) Plateau, China.
[Global and Planetary Change 43 (2004) 19–31]
Zhaoli, Yan; Ning, Wu; Dorji, Yeshi; and Jia, Ru
- A Review of Rangeland Privatization and its Implications in the Tibetan Plateau, China.
[Nomadic Peoples NS (2005) VOLUME 9 ISSUES 1 & 2]