If you have witnessed fraudulent activity, please contact your supervisor, an appropriate university official, Internal Audit at 216.368.4309, or Protective Services at 216.368.3333.
If you wish to submit an anonymous tip please visit the Integrity Hotline page.
What is Fraud?
Fraud generally involves a willful or deliberate act with the intention of obtaining an unauthorized benefit, such as money or property, by deception or other unethical means.
The Institute of Internal Auditors characterizes fraud as "an array of irregularities or illegal acts characterized by intentional deception. It can be perpetrated for the benefit of or to the detriment of the organization and by persons outside as well as inside the organization."
Such acts include but are not limited to:
- Purchasing personal items with a university purchasing card
- Forgery, falsification, or alteration of documents
- Misappropriation of funds, securities, supplies, inventory, or any other asset
- Intentional misrepresentation of events or data
- Authorizing or receiving payment for hours not worked
- Authorizing or receiving payment for goods not received or services not performed
- Improprieties in the handling or reporting of money or financial transactions
- Acceptance of bribes or kickbacks
- Bloating expense reports
- Stealing Intellectual Property
- Using equipment or resources for private or personal purpose
Reporting a Stolen University Check
If someone has stolen a CWRU check made out in your name, please call the Office of Internal Audit Services at 216.368.4309.