Getting Around Your New Home

Case Western Reserve is a very walkable campus, with many exciting destinations within University Circle. But there also are many transportation options available to you through CWRU or around the city so you can get wherever you’d like to go.

Public Transportation

By bus or by train, there are a number of ways you can get around campus and across Cleveland. On-Campus Options:

In addition, the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority offers rail and bus service to almost any destination you need to get to in the Cleveland area.

All undergraduate students are issued an RTA pass automatically at the start of each semester valid for all rail and bus service.

Full-time graduate students may purchase an RTA pass at the start of each semester from Access Services for a nominal fee.

Driving and Owning a Vehicle in Ohio

Planning to bring or acquire a vehicle while attending CWRU? Consider the facts.

Any individual who resides in the state of Ohio for more than 30 days and intends to drive (whether it’s your car or someone else’s that you’ll be driving a few times or on a regular basis) is required to secure an Ohio driver’s license and motor vehicle insurance that meets state minimum requirements. It may be necessary for you to take and pass a written and or driving test to become licensed.

International Student Services has copies of the Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws brochure available in our office, or you can download one online  to educate yourself about driving regulations.

Once you’ve gotten your license, you’re ready to purchase a car! has some helpful basic information about what to take into consideration when buying a new or used vehicle in the state of Ohio.

For step-by-step information about the proper procedures based on Ohio laws and requirements, visit the Bureau of Motor Vehicles website.

And don’t forget about purchasing parking if you plan to drive to campus!

NOTE: If you’re not planning to become a licensed driver in Ohio, you still likely will want to obtain a State Identification Card as an additional form of identification. It’s easy to carry in your wallet and to replace, unlike a passport. State Identification Cards are issued by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and information about the application requirements are available on the bureau’s website.

Other Transportation Services

Not a fan of being behind the wheel but having trouble catching that last bus? There’s always Uber or Taxi Fare Finder to help get you around town.

Looking to travel outside of the city? Plane, rail and bus service information can be found at: