This is an evolving list of resources and tools for Motivational Interviewing (MI), the evidence-based treatment, recommended by consultants and trainers at the Center for Evidence-Based Practices at Case Western Reserve University. MI is a core component of many evidence-based practices and best practices and is used in many service settings (e.g., ACT, IDDT, SE/IPS, housing services, criminal justice, tobacco recovery, primary health). Learn more about MI.
Tools produced by our center
Recommended Research and Reading for MI
This section contains recommendations for the following topics:
- General Information about MI
- Adolescents & Families
- Criminal Justice
- Behavioral Healthcare
- Amrhein, P.C., Miller, W.R., Yahne, C.E., Palmer, M., & Fulcher, L. (2003). Client commitment language during motivational interviewing predicts drug use outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 71(5) 862-878.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (2006). TIP 35 / Treatment Improvement Protocol Series: Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment. DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 99-3354. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Hettema, J., Steele, J., & Miller, W. (2005). Motivational interviewing. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 91-111.
- Lundahl, B. W., Kunz, C., Brownell, C., Tollefson, D., & Burke B. L. (2010). A meta-analysis of motivational interviewing: Twenty-five years of empirical studies. Research on Social Work Practice, 20(2), 137-160.
- Miller, W. R., Benefield, R. G., & Tonigan, J. S. (1993). Enhancing motivation for change in problem drinking: A controlled comparison of two therapist styles. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 455-461.
- Miller, W. R., & Mount, K. A. (2001). A small study of training in motivational interviewing: Does one workshop change clinician and client behavior? Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 29, 457-471.
- Miller, W.R., & Rollnick, S. (2012). Motivational interviewing: Helping people change (3rd ed.). NY: Guilford Press.
- Miller, W.R., & Rollnick, S. (2009). Ten things that motivational interviewing is not. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 37, 129-140.
- Miller, W. R. & Rose, G. S. (2009). Toward a theory of motivational interviewing. American Psychologist, 64(6), 527-537.
- Miller, W. R., Zweben, J., & Johnson, W. R. (2005). Evidence-based treatment: Why, what, where, when, and how? Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 29, 267- 276.
- William R. Miller and Stephen Rollnick (2012). Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People For Change (Third Edition). New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Moyers, T. B., Miller, W. R., & Hendrickson, S. M. L. (2005). How does motivational interviewing work? Therapist interpersonal skill predicts client involvement within motivational interviewing sessions. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 73, 590-598.
- Moyers, T. B., Martin, J. K., Houck, J. M., Christopher, P.J., & Tonigan, J.S. (2009). From in-session behaviors to drinking outcomes: A causal chain for motivational interviewing. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77(6), 1113-1124.
- Prochaska, J. O., Norcross, J. C., & DiClemente (1994). Changing For Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward. New York: Harper Collins Publishers.
- Rosengren, D. B. (2009). Building motivational interviewing skills: A practitioner workbook. New York: Guilford Press.
- Wagner, C.C. & Ingersoll, K.S. (2013). Motivational Interviewing in Groups. New York: Guilford Press.
- White, W.L. (2008). Recovery management and recovery-oriented systems of care: Scientific rationale and promising practices [Monograph]. Special Collaborative Northeast and Great Lakes ATTC/Philadelphia DBHMRS. Addiction Technology Transfer Monograph Series, Monograph #5. Rockville, MD: U.S.DHHS, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Naar-King, S. & Suarez, M. (2011). Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults. NY: Guilford Press.
- Bogue, Bradford M., and Anjali Nandi (2012). Exercises for Developing MI Skills in Corrections. Washington, DC: National Institute of Corrections.
- Bogue, Bradford M., and Anjali Nandi (2012). Motivational Interviewing in Corrections: A Comprehensive Guide to Implementing MI in Corrections. Washington, DC: National Institute of Corrections.
- Clark, Michael D. Motivational Interviewing for Probation Staff: Increasing the Readiness to Change. Federal Probation 69, no. 2 (2005): 22-28. [Part One of a Two Part Series].
- Clark, Michael D., Walters, Scott T., Gingerich, Ray and Mary Meltzer. Motivational Interviewing for Probation Officers: Tipping the Balance Towards Change. Federal Probation. 70, no. 1 (2006): 38-44.
- National Institute of Corrections. Motivational Interviewing with a Criminal Justice Focus: Annotated Bibliography. Washington, DC: The U.S. Department of Justice.
- Walters, Scott T., Michael D. Clark, Ray Gingerich, and Melissa L. Meltzer (2007). Motivating Offenders to Change: A Guide for Probation and Parole. Washington, DC: National Institute of Corrections.
- Rollnick, S., Miller, W.R., & Butler, C.C. (2008). Motivational interviewing in health care: Helping patients change behavior. New York: Guilford Press.
- VanBuskirk, K.A. & Loebach Wetherell, J. (2013). Motivational interviewing with primary care populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 37 (4), 768-780. doi: 10.1007/s10865-013-9527-4
- Arkowitz, H., Westra, H. A., Miller, W.R., & Rollnick, S. (Eds.) (2015). Motivational interviewing in the treatment of psychological problems (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.
- Westra, H.A. (2012). Motivational Interviewing in the Treatment of Anxiety. New York: Guilford Press.
- Miller, W. R., Yahne, C. E., Moyers, T. B., Martinez, J., & Pirritano, M. (2004). A randomized trial of methods to help clinicians learn motivational interviewing. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 72, 1050-1062.
- Martino, S., Ball, S. A., Gallon, S. L., Hall, D., Garcia, M., Ceperich, S., Farentinos, C., Hamilton, J., & Hausotter, W. (2006). Motivational Interviewing Assessment: Supervisory Tools for Enhancing Proficiency. Salem, OR: Northwest Frontier Addiction Technology Transfer Center, Oregon Health and Science University.
- Moyers, T. B., Martin, J. K., Manuel, W. R., & Ernst, D. (2009). Revised Global Scales: Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity 3.1.1. University of New Mexico, Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions (CASAA). Casaa.unm.edu/inst.html