The Office of Accommodated Testing and Services (OATS) strives to create the best environment to provide appropriate accommodations for all students testing with us. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the regular semester and extended during finals. All correspondence pertaining to the testing process should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also stop into our office in Sears 440 or call us at 216.368.0399.
Use the AIM (Accessible Information Management) system to make test reservations for OATS (see Scheduling Accommodated Exams for additional help). This registration should be completed in a timely manner to ensure that both your faculty and OATS can prepare your accommodated testing needs.
You are encouraged to use your syllabuses to schedule your course quizzes, exams, and finals in a timely manner. Creating your reservations 1 full week (7 days) in advance helps OATS create your testing accommodations. OATS will help you with the reservations if you would like this assistance.
If you have a temporary testing accommodation and are new to the process, we will work with you to schedule your testing appointments. Call 216.368.0399, or stop by Sears 440 during business hours for help in setting up your test reservation(s).
Students Arriving without a Reservation
If you arrive at OATS without a reservation, you are asked to do the following:
- Use your laptop, or a provided workstation, to schedule the exam through AIM.
- Proceed to the back of the check-in line once the request has been made.
OATS staff may need to contact faculty to obtain the exam materials, if we don’t already have them. If we can’t access the testing materials for you, OATS staff will go to your faculty’s classroom/office to retrieve a copy of the exam.
Students With a Scheduling Conflict
Email OATS staff at email@example.com if you need an alternative time/date because of overlapping class times, if you have more than one final scheduled on the same day, or for other disability-related reasons. We will contact faculty to make these arrangements. Requests for alternative arrangements should be made at least 1 week prior to a test date during the semester and 3 weeks in advance for final exams.
Arrive in OATS at least 5 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. On high volume days, there may be a line but you will receive your full accommodated time if you are on time.
If the student is late (more than 15 minutes), the OATS staff will call the faculty member to see if the student may still may take the exam. In some cases, students may forfeit the amount of time they were late in accordance with the stated class policy.
Complete the following before receiving exam materials:
- Bring your laptop if the exam is taken on a laptop in the classroom. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you plan to use a laptop when you complete your test reservation. We need this information to make seating arrangements. Your device will not have access to the internet, unless this is part of the exam as per your faculty instructions.
- Hang up belongings in silence and stow cell phone/smart watches in our reception area.
- Have the appropriate test materials (such as calculators, approved open notes) ready and proceed to get in line to receive the exam.
- Once an exam is issued, if you need to access your personal belongings during an exam for disability-related reasons please stop in at the front desk with your exam.
You may be given a number, at the time of check in, to place on your desk so we can find you if there is a test correction.
Room Assignment and Test Timing
We will assign you a room and a stop time, on a sticky note, based on your accommodations. The stop time reflects your accommodation along with the time it takes to move to your room assignment.
- You are responsible for keeping track of your time and adhering to the stop time.
- We will prompt you verbally, if time has expired and you have not stopped.
- We will collect the exam when time is up, regardless if you are finished.
- Faculty are notified if you are not compliant with the stop time.
OATS follows the University’s Code of Ethics for Academic Integrity.