|ywcaofcleveland.org||Sophomores/Juniors (women only)||TBD||See below|
The YWCA of Greater Cleveland established The Dr. Jennie S. Hwang Award in 2002 to encourage women to pursue sciences, engineering and technology-related education and professions. The Award is named in honor of Dr. Hwang who is internationally distinguished in both business and technology arenas.
Endowed by Dr. Jennie S. Hwang, the Award recognizes the outstanding women college students who major in one of the sciences, engineering or technology-related disciplines.
The Dr. Jennie S. Hwang Award consists of recognition and a monetary prize, which is to be conferred by Dr. Jennie S. Hwang at the annual YWCA Greater Cleveland Women of Achievement Awards luncheon.
The award selection is based upon the following criteria:
- Nominees for the award must be full-time students, in their sophomore or junior academic year, and in one of the designated majors: science, engineering or a technology-related discipline, including life sciences and pre-med.
- Overall academic performance and in good standing with the university.
- Leadership experiences and on-campus activities involvement.
- Off-campus volunteer and community service.
1. Students must be nominated by CWRU, so there is a preliminary screening.
2. Send the following application components to Dean Amanda McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org by the campus deadline of TBD:
- A current resume which includes the following:
- Academic accomplishments, honors and awards (include, if applicable, honors thesis, or paper given, research completed, scholarships, competitive summer programs, and recognition won).
- Extracurricular/community activities and leadership both on and off-campus.
- A letter of recommendation from a professor in the major area of study
- One-page, single-spaced essay describing your commitment to sciences, engineering and technology-related education and your professional path and aspirations into this field.
Preference will be for all components to be sent in one singular PDF. Reference letters can be submitted separately by the letter writer either electronically to email@example.com or via US/campus mail to the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Case Western Reserve University, 357 Sears Building, 10900 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44106-7028.
3. Applications will be reviewed and students will be contacted as to whether their candidacy will be submitted to the local competition.
4. If selected as one of the candidates to represent CWRU, Dean McCarthy will coordinate application and nomination submission to the local competition.
|Committee review and selection||TBD|
Value of the Award
The total amount of the award is $1,500. The winner will be invited to join Dr. Jennie S. Hwang for the presentation of the award at the annual YWCA Women of Achievement Awards Luncheon. The recipient must be able to attend the luncheon to receive the award.