Leaving Case Western Reserve University: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Health Benefits

  • When I terminate employment at Case, how long will my health benefits remain in effect?

    Your health benefits (medical, dental, prescription drug, vision) remain in effect until the last day of the final month in which you worked.

  • Am I eligible to continue my health benefits after my date of termination?

    Yes, you are eligible to continue your health benefits through COBRA.

  • What is COBRA?

    COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986) is part of a Federal law that allows employees who separate from employment the right to continue their current health insurance.  COBRA provides you with an opportunity to continue medical/prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage for up to 18 months if you had coverage through Case Western Reserve University health plans. http://www.case.edu/finadmin/humres/benefits/laws.html

  • How can I receive information regarding COBRA?

    You may contact benefits administration at (216) 368-6781 for information regarding COBRA.  Also, Benefits Administration will mail to the address on file at the university within 45 days of your termination date the necessary forms to continue your insurance coverage.

  • How long do I have to enroll in COBRA?

  • A terminated employee has  60 days after the effective date of  termination or from the date of notification, whichever is later, to complete his/her enrollment for COBRA continuation coverage.

  • Can I choose to continue one or part of my current coverage, for example, medical coverage only?

  • You may continue any or all of the coverages for which you are eligible.

  • Can I change the type of coverage and/or carrier that I currently have?

  • In most cases you must keep the same coverage and /or carrier you have currently.  There are some circumstances that may allow you to elect a different coverage, however you must contact Benefits Administration to discuss your individual circumstances at (216) 368-6781.

  • How can I find out information regarding my health benefit elections?

  • You may contact Benefits Administration at (216) 368-6781.

  • What is the cost of COBRA?

  • The COBRA rate is the full premium rate.  You will be responsible for paying the combined employer and employee premium amount plus an additional 2% to cover administrative costs.

  • When is the payment due for COBRA?

  • You have 45 days after notifying Benefits Administration of your intent to enroll in COBRA before any payment is due.  Your first payment includes premiums back to the date your coverage terminated.  Coverage must be continuous.

  • Who do I contact if I have questions regarding COBRA payments?

  • Please contact Meritain Health, COBRA administrator for the university, at 877-801-1500 for questions regarding COBRA payments and due dates.