Skip to Main Content
CWRU Links

School of
Graduate Studies

School of Graduate Studies

Non-Degree Students

Non-Degree Students

Students who have completed their undergraduate degrees, who would like to enroll in classes for personal enrichment or to satisfy prerequisite graduate course requirements, may enroll as a non-degree student. Natalie Cowan, Graduate Coordinator in the School of Graduate Studies is the advisor for all non-degree students and approves all registrations, drop/adds and withdrawals.

Visit the School of Graduate Studies calendar for dates and deadlines. Refer to the Registrar's Office for course scheduling through the Student Information System (SIS). Tuition information is available through Student Financial Services.

Application Process

Anyone wishing to take non-degree courses should apply through the online application system and pay the $50 non-refundable application fee. You will be informed by email when the application has been processed (upon receipt of official transcripts with degree verification). 

All non-degree applicants must submit a final, official transcript with the baccalaureate (or higher) degree posted before being accepted. Case Western Reserve University graduates and employees do not need to submit degree verification. Send transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies electronically to or by mail to:

Case Western Reserve University
School of Graduate Studies, Tomlinson 203
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44106

Course Requirements and Transferring Credit

  • Students may enroll in undergraduate and graduate level courses. Continuing in non-degree status is at the discretion of the dean of Graduate Studies.
  • Applicants who want to later transfer coursework into a graduate degree seeking program should seek early advice from the program where they intend to apply. This will ensure that courses taken as non-degree students will satisfy departmental requirements.
  • Students should not assume that entering as a non-degree will later grant admission to any graduate degree program, or that all coursework will transfer into a program.
  • Only 400 level and higher course work will be considered for transfer to a graduate program. The term of the earliest approved, transferred course will establish the date of entrance into the degree program. Courses transferred from non-degree status must have been taken within five years of the first term of matriculation as a degree-seeking student and passed with a grade of B or better.
  • Students considering continuing into a degree program need to have completed a minimum matriculation of two semesters and six semester hours of coursework.
  • Non-degree students are limited to 21 hours of coursework in one program. To continue taking courses in a program, the student must apply online and be formally accepted into the graduate degree program by the School of Graduate Studies.
  • For courses that have “Permission Required” listed in the course catalog or the searchable schedule of classes, permission must be requested online. This must be done before registering through the instructor or department. All permissions must be requested through the Student Information System.

Financial Aid

Non-degree students are ineligible for federal financial aid.

Private loans are available to domestic students. FASTChoice has more information on various lenders.

Steps for Registration

First-time, Non-degree Registrants

  1. Complete the online application. The deadline to apply for fall is August 15, for spring is January 1 and for summer is May 1.
  2. Submit official transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies in Tomlinson Hall, Room 203. CWRU graduates and employees do not need to submit degree verification.
  3. If you are an international student, submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language(TOEFL) score report to institution code 1105. Required TOEFL scores are 90 or higher for the online test and 577 or higher for the paper-based test. Or, the International English Language Testing System(IELTS) is also acceptable; the score must be 7.0 or higher. IELTS official test reports should be sent to the School of Graduate Studies.
  4. You will receive an email from the School of Graduate Studies to inform you of your admission decision once all documents have been received and reviewed. If accepted, activate your CWRU network ID (unless you already have a network ID) and register online using the Student Information System (SIS)


Repeat, Non-degree Registrants

  1. Email a request to your non-degree advisor (Natalie Cowan, Graduate Coordinator) to release the advising hold on your registration.
  2. Once the hold has been released, register through the Student Information System (SIS).


All Registrants

  1. Register for your selected courses in the Student Information System (SIS). Go to “Enrolling in Classes” for detailed instructions.
  2. Get necessary Overrides and Permissions.
  3. Meet prerequisites for courses to assure eligibility. Review your Searchable Schedule of Classes.


Case Western Reserve University Employees

The $50 application fee is waived for CWRU employees and, when employees are eligible, tuition may be waived. CWRU employees must know their eligibility status. If financial penalties are incurred because of ineligibility, the CWRU employee must pay such penalties.

Certification for Tuition Waiver forms are available on the 2nd floor of Crawford Hall or online. The waiver of tuition and class schedule should be submitted to Human Resources, Crawford Hall, Room 224.

Graduate Program Admission

Individual departments within the School of Graduate Studies first review and recommend applicants for admission. Applicants must then be approved by the dean of Graduate Studies.