The Certificate programs below are those offered and managed through the School of Graduate Studies. If you specific questions relating to the program, please contact the department or program to which you are interested in applying. Click on each Certificate for more information.
Students pursuing a Certificate must complete all necessary coursework for their program and earn a minimum GPA of 3.00 in order for the graduate Certificate to be awarded. The courses and Certificate will show up on the CWRU transcript.
Graduate Certificates: All courses are taught at the graduate or professional level.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate: Courses are taught at the undergraduate and/or graduate/professional level.
University Certificate Programs
|Advanced Quantitative Methodologies (AQM)|
|Biomedical and Health Informatics|
|Maternal and Child Nutrition|
|Nutrition for Healthcare Professionals|
|PRIME (Postbaccalaureate Readiness Instruction for bioMedical Education)|
* AQM is the only for currently enrolled CWRU students. To add the Certificate to your Program of Study, contact Graduate Studies.
* Note that applicants pursuing a Certificate apply as Non-Degree and your file is moved to Degree Seeking in the Student Information System (SIS).
- If you have previously applied to another program, you will need to create a different account using a different email address for each application. Don't forget your username and password, you will use is to log in to view your admission decision. (Note that the name you enter in the Profile data here is the name that goes out to your Recommenders; it does not have to be your legal name.)
2) Personal Data section
- Applicant Type - Choose Non-Degree
- Preferred First Name - Enter your Preferred First Name if you have one. This will show up in parentheses on your official admission letter; example Legal First Name (Preferred First Name) Legal Last Name.
3) Non-Degree Application Form section
- Non-Degree Applicant Type - Choose the Certificate program you intend to apply to. (Note there are additional certificates in the list that are not listed above. Those are not University Certificates. For information on those programs, see our Non-Degree page here.)
- Transcripts - You must upload copies of your unofficial transcripts onto the application for the department to review. If accepted, you must send official transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies. PRIME students will upload transcripts onto the PRIME Supplemental.
- Personal Statement - BHI applicants must upload a personal statement. PRIME students will upload the personal statement onto the PRIME Supplemental.
- Test Scores - No score reports required for BHI. PRIME students will upload your unofficial GRE or MCAT report onto the PRIME Supplemental.
- Resume or CV - BHI applicants must upload a resume or CV. PRIME students will upload the resume or CV onto the PRIME Supplemental.
4) Supplemental section (only for PRIME)
- This page has additional questions that you must answer and documents that must be uploaded.
5) Recommendations section
- Letters of Recommendation - PRIME: Three letters of recommendation must be submitted. BHI: 1 LOR if you are enrolled in a CWRU program and 2 if you are not. These individuals should be sufficiently familiar with you, and can assess your academic preparation, abilities and accomplishments. Letters should be from your most recent instructors in your proposed field of study. If you have been out of school for several years, one letter may be from your employer, supervisor or other person familiar with your most recent activities.
- If your Recommender is completing the recommendation Offline (emailing it to the department instead of using the online system), be sure to go to the Downloadable Forms section, print the Recommendation Form and provide it to them. This form should accompany their recommendation letter.
- If you are using Interfolio or having your recommenders send directly to the department, please download the Recommendation form on the application and provide it to the recommenders and mark the recommendation as 'Offline'.
6) Check Your Application section
- Fix any errors on your application.
- If you cannot figure out how to remedy the error, contact Graduate Studies Admissions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click Proceed to Submission.
7) Application Fee, Sign/Submit
- View and Print your Application PDF.
- Tick the Confirmation box.
- Pay your non-refundable $50 application fee. You will be redirected to QuickPay to enter your credit information. We cannot accept cash, check, or money order.
- Proceed to the final step to type your Full Name and date and click SUBMIT APPLICATION.
*** Language Scores for International Applicants
A passing language score must be submitted for international applicants whose first language is not English or those who have not earned a bachelors degree or higher from a US institution or an institution that was taught primarily in English. We do not offer conditional admission to applicants who do not meet the minimum language scores.
- TOEFL - 90 minimum if internet-based or 577 if paper-based. (We do not accept TOEFL MyBest Scores.) Scores can be sent officially through ETS using CWRU's school code 1105.
- IELTS - 7.0 minimum. Please do not send scores officially, we can verify your score online using your TRF Number.
- PTE Academic - 61 minimum. Scores can be sent officially through the Pearson website to be verified online.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Below is a list of frequently asked questions about Certificates.
It varies by which program you are pursuing, but all University Certificates are a minimum of 15 credit hours.
You are considered a Degree Seeking student and can qualify for financial aid.
Yes. The courses you take will be listed on your transcript and your Certificate will be listed as a Degree Earned.
The following Certificates may be pursued as part of other degree programs: Biomedical and Health Informatics, Maternal and Child Nutrition, and Nutrition for Healthcare Professionals.
The following Certificates are typically taken on their own: Advanced Quantitative Methodologies (AQM) and PRIME
Yes, you will receive a diploma that is certified by the School of Graduate Studies and Case Western Reserve University. It looks very similar to our normal degree seeking diplomas, just a bit smaller.