The Certificate programs below are those offered and managed through the School of Graduate Studies. If you specific questions relating to the program, please contact the department or program to which you are interested in applying. Click on each Certificate for more information.
Students pursuing a Certificate must complete all necessary coursework for their program and earn a minimum GPA of 3.00 in order for the graduate Certificate to be awarded. The courses and Certificate will show up on the CWRU transcript.
Graduate Certificates: All courses are taught at the graduate or professional level.
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate: Courses are taught at the undergraduate and/or graduate/professional level.
University Certificate Programs
* AQM is only for currently enrolled CWRU students. To add the Certificate to your Program of Study, contact Graduate Studies.
See the Deadlines page here.
- If you are just starting out, click Create an Account under First Time Users. If you have previously applied, click on Returning Users and login with your email address and password.
- You will receive an email to activate your account. Click the link in the email and enter the temporary pin to move ahead with creating your password.
- Note: Remember this login information, you will need it when logging in between sessions to complete your application and to retrieve your official admission decision.
2) Home Page
- First time users - Click Start New Application, select the year you intend to enroll, the school, and click Create Application, then Open Application.
- Returning users - Click on the application you would like to work on, click the school, and click Open Application.
- Read through and follow the instructions thoroughly.
- Find information on Deadlines, FAQs, and International Applicant Resources.
4) Program Details
- Application Type - Period (e.g., 2022)
- School - Choose School that Certificate is under
- Create Application
- Degree Type - Choose Certificate.
- Program - Choose your desired program
- Semester - If the semester you are trying to apply for is not displayed, the deadline may have passed or it may not be offered starting in that term. Refer to the deadlines listed here.
5) Academic History
- Identify and upload an unofficial transcript from each post-secondary institution directly onto the application. If you are admitted and plan on attending CWRU, then you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- In order to alleviate the cost and logistics of applying, please do not send transcripts in with your application; they will not be reviewed. CWRU graduates do not need to send official transcripts, we can verify your information in SIS - please only upload an unofficial transcript to the application for review.
- International Students: Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified scanned translations in English and/or a WES Evaluation.
- Letters of Recommendation - These individuals should be sufficiently familiar with you, and can assess your academic preparation, abilities and accomplishments. Letters should be from your most recent instructors in your proposed field of study. If you have been out of school for several years, one letter may be from your employer, supervisor or other person familiar with your most recent activities.
- PRIME: Three letters of recommendation must be submitted.
- Health Informatics: 1 LOR if you are enrolled in a CWRU program and 2 if you are not.
- Your recommender will receive an email containing a link to submit their rating and letter through the online recommendation system.
- If your recommender wishes to complete the recommendation by mail instead, have them mail or email their letter directly to your program department.
- If you are using Interfolio, select "To be mailed by the recommender" and have the committee file emailed directly to your program department.
7) Conduct and Behavior
- Answer Yes or No to the following questions. If Yes, you will be asked to explain including dates, the nature of the offense, and name and location of the university or court, penalty, and additional information you want considered.
- "Other than minor traffic offenses, have you ever pled guilty or been convicted of a criminal offense, or are there criminal charges pending against you? You may answer No to this question if the criminal adjudication or conviction has been expunged, sealed, or otherwise ordered by a court or be kept confidential."
- "Has there ever been action taken against you for ethical/professional misconduct?"
- "Have you ever been placed on academic probation, suspended, or expelled from a college or university?"
- Your department will not have access to see these responses and they will not be used as part of the application process.
8) Test Requirements and Options (International applicants only)
- International applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Minimum language scores to gain admission are below; we do not offer conditional admission to applicants who do not meet the minimum language scores or qualify for an education waiver.
- You only need to upload your unofficial score report; you do not need to send official test scores unless you are formally admitted.
- Is English your native language?
- If Yes, click Continue.
- If No, you will be asked to provide an unofficial test score report or indicate that you qualify for a waiver based on your education.
- The TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE are all valid for two years after the test date.
- TOEFL - 90 minimum if internet-based or 577 if paper-based (minimum of 80 TOEFL if applying to a Course Focused Engineering program). Scores can be sent officially through ETS using CWRU's school code 1105. * The School of Graduate Studies does not accept the DuoLingo exams or TOEFL MyBest Scores. Applicants must achieve a minimum of 90 on one exam date; exams will not be superscored.
- IELTS - 7.0 minimum (minimum of 6.5 IELTS if applying to a Course Focused Engineering program). Please do not send scores officially, simply include your TRF number on your application and we can verify your score online.
- PTE Academic - 61 minimum. Scores can be sent officially through the Pearson website to be verified online.
- The following departments require higher language scores of 100 TOEFL or 68 PTE: Art History, and Art History and Museum Studies, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry Entrepreneurship, Master of Engineering and Management (MEM), and Pathology
- Language score waivers can only be granted if you have 1) completed a bachelors or higher from a university where the primary medium of instruction was English or 2) your home country's primary spoken language is English.
9) Standardized Test Reporting
- GRE - The GRE is required for the following programs:
- PRIME (to be uploaded onto the PRIME Supplemental page)
- See your individual department's website for specific score information or requirements.
- In order to alleviate application costs and logistics, it is not necessary to send official score reports during the admissions process; please upload unofficial score reports onto the application for review. If you are admitted and plan on attending CWRU, then you will be required to submit official score reports.
- This page has additional questions and some documents to be uploaded such as a personal statement, resume, or unofficial GRE or MCAT report (if applicable).
11) Additional Details
- If you have received an Inquiry Code, enter it here.
- Are you applying for financial assistance?
- Are you a current employee or are you related to a current full-time employee (this does not include UH, CCF, Metro, or VA employees)
- Have you ever applied to CWRU as a graduate or undergraduate student?
- Indicate your U.S. military experience.
- Indicate if you participated in the McNair Scholars Program or the National Name Exchange.
- What influenced your decision to apply?
12) Signature and Review
- Digitally sign your application.
- Fix any errors on your application. If you cannot figure out how to remedy the error, contact Graduate Studies Admissions.
13) Application Fee
- Click Finalize Application and Pay. If applicable, pay your non-refundable $50 application fee. You will be directed to enter your credit card information. We cannot accept cash, check, or money order.
- Proceed to the final step to click Submit Payment. Your application will not be reviewed until your payment has been received.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Below is a list of frequently asked questions about Certificates.
It varies by which program you are pursuing, but all University Certificates are a minimum of 15 credit hours.
If you are enrolled in on of the University Certificate programs listed above, you are considered a Degree Seeking student and can qualify for financial aid.
Yes. The courses you take will be listed on your transcript and your Certificate will be listed as a Degree Earned.
The following Certificates may be pursued as part of other degree programs:
Health Informatics, Maternal and Child Nutrition, and Nutrition for Healthcare Professionals.
The following Certificates are typically taken on their own: Advanced Quantitative Methodologies (AQM) and PRIME
Yes, you will receive a diploma that is certified by the School of Graduate Studies and Case Western Reserve University. It looks very similar to our normal degree seeking diplomas, just a bit smaller.