ACES+ Summer Undergraduate Research Program Policies and General Information
2018 Program Dates: May 29, 2018-August 3, 2018
Application Deadline: February 2, 2018
Compensation and estimated expenses 2018
Stipend: $3,500 for 10 weeks
Travel: Included. Flights will be pre-arranged and paid for through Case Western Reserve University.
CaseOne Card: $500
Stipend is $3,500, minimum two months.
Estimated stipend payment schedule
$1,000 end of first week
$1,000 end of first month
$1,500 end of second month
Stipend checks are not available for direct deposit.
Temporary CWRU ID
In order for interns to receive access to buildings, a CWRU ID is required. CWRU ID’s will be provided on the day of orientation.
On-Campus housing will be offered in the dormitories on campus. The program will pay for the cost towards summer housing expenses.
Each of the traditional residential facilities located within the South Residential Village comes equipped with the following amenities:
- Coin-operated laundry room
- Wireless computer access
- Vending machines
- Large screen TV in main lobby
- Gaming area (pool table)
- Bike storage rooms
- Box fans for each guest (air-conditioning is not available)
- A small Communal Kitchen/refrigerator
Each intern is responsible for his/her own meals (a once-weekly seminar luncheon will be provided by the program). There is a small communal kitchen with refrigerator in the dorm. The “CaseOneCard” will be enabled CWRU ID’s with a balance of $500 available for use at on-campus cafeterias and other venues near to campus. For a complete listing, please go to: case.edu/dining/where-to-eat/on-campus-locations/. There are also several maps, including one with Dave’s Supermarket marked where you can use your CaseOneCard for purchases.
Each intern will have access to the Veale Gym. Each intern will be responsible for the locker and towel fees. athletics.case.edu/facilities/veale_center
For non-local interns, flights will be pre-arranged and paid for through CWRU.
Getting Around CWRU
The campus shuttles are free of charge while the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) has buses and a light rail (Rapid) in the area for a small fee iderta.com/. A summer RTA pass can be obtained from Access Services for about $75 for the entire summer. CaseCash can be used for payment. Information of campus shuttles and the Safe Ride program are here: case.edu/access-services/shuttles/. Campus Police and Security Services – (216) 368-3333 (Emergency), (216) 368-3000 (non-Emergency) Safe Ride – (216) 368-3000
While on campus, non-CWRU student interns are provided with emergency risk insurance that covers accidents and sudden illness. NOTE: Any routine doctor visits needed while staying at CWRU will not be covered by this insurance. In the event of this type of emergency, interns may call CWRU Health Services at (216) 368-2450.
Alcohol, illicit drugs, and weapons are prohibited on the campus of Case Western Reserve University and affiliated hospitals and at all HLB academic and co-curricular activities. The penalty for such use is automatic dismissal and withholding of remaining stipend.
The weather during the summer varies. The weather is unpredictable, but the summer months are the best in Cleveland. The temperature varies from high 60’s to mid-90’s. It is suggested to bring a light jacket for cool days. Comfortable clothing is recommended while working in the labs. Business attire is required on the day of the Summer 2016 Intersections Poster Session.
Lab Safety Training
All interns are REQUIRED to receive lab training followed by Blood Pathogen training.
There will be workshop events held for all summer undergraduate research program students on campus throughout the summer. Some workshops include Lunch and Learn sessions, preparing for medical school presentations, medical and dental school fairs. More workshops will be determined and details are forthcoming.
We want for all students to enjoy the summer while working. We will plan events including trips to the following:
- Narrated Lake/River Tour on the Goodtime III
- Lake County Captains Baseball Game
- Cedar Point
- Niagara Falls
Web Links for Cleveland Attractions
- University Circle
- Cain Park:
- Concert and theater Listing
- Arts Festival (very good juried fine arts show and fine crafts)
- Cedar Fairmount (top of hill-south side, Dave’s Market)
- Little Italy
- Cleveland Institute of Art Cinematheque (Outstanding Alternative Film Theater) basically behind CWRU’s Library and Thwing center
- Cedar Lee
- Cleveland Indians Baseball
- Cleveland Orchestra at Blossom (transportation needed)
- Great Lakes Science Center
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
- The Greater Cleveland Aquarium
- The Museum of Contemporary Art
- Lake View Cemetery (This also is a Res Life Activity)
- West Side Market (with easy access on red line- W 25 Street)
- Great Lakes Brewery (with easy access on red line- W 25 Street)
- Cleveland Hillel Foundation
- Muslim Student Association
- Newman Catholic Campus Ministry
- United Protestant Campus Ministries in Cleveland, OH