Prior to my training at The Ohio State University and Bruker BioSpin Corp., I had 10 years of experience in small molecule synthesis, new reagents development, and large-scale production of drug-like compounds. Since turning my focus to molecular imaging and cardiovascular disease about eight years ago, I have developed contrast agents for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of atherosclerosis and discovered new mechanisms by which inflammation regulates atherogenesis, adiposity, and metabolic syndrome in various experimental disease models and environmental settings. Today, I have a substantial track record in drug and imaging probe delivery, MRI system development, and imaging of metabolic diseases.
Our research team develops nanotechnology tools to better understand cardiometabolic diseases such as atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes and obesity. We engineer, make and test new imaging probes, drug delivery vehicles and sensors that help to diagnose and treat these conditions. In addition to imaging and drug delivery projects, our laboratory investigates lipoproteins and their function and metabolic biology of immune cells. We also have long-standing interest in toxicology of synthetic and environmental nano-/microparticles and their effects on cardiometabolic health. Recently, we started to look into cardiovascular biology of incretin peptides, such as glucagon-like peptide-1 to see how these molecules maybe involved in immune cells behavior and anti-atherosclerotic effects.
- Yao, Zhili, Jessica M. Mates, Alana M. Cheplowitz, Lindsay P. Hammer, Andrei Maiseyeu, Gary S. Phillips, Mark D. Wewers, et al. 2016. Blood-Borne Lipopolysaccharide Is Rapidly Eliminated by Liver Sinusoidal Endothelial Cells via High-Density Lipoprotein. Journal of Immunology 197 (6): 2390–92
- Maiseyeu, Andrei. 2016. Non-Antigenic Regulators of Targeting for Imaging and Therapy. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 99 (Pt A):
- Bagalkot, Vaishali, Jeffrey A. Deiuliis, Sanjay Rajagopalan, and Andrei Maiseyeu. 2016. ‘Eat Me’ Imaging and Therapy. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 99 (Pt A): 2–11.
- Ganesan, Latha P., Jessica M. Mates, Alana M. Cheplowitz, Christina L. Avila, Jason M. Zimmerer, Zhili Yao, Andrei Maiseyeu, Murugesan V. S. Rajaram, John M. Robinson, and Clark L. Anderson. 2016. Scavenger Receptor B1, the HDL Receptor, Is Expressed Abundantly in Liver Sinusoidal Endothelial Cells. Scientific Reports 6: 20646.
- Zhong, Jixin, Andrei Maiseyeu, Stephen N. Davis, and Sanjay Rajagopalan. 2015. DPP4 in Cardiometabolic Disease: Recent Insights from the Laboratory and Clinical Trials of DPP4 Inhibition. Circulation Research 116 (8): 1491–1504.
- Bagalkot, Vaishali, Marcus A. Badgeley, Thomas Kampfrath, Jeffrey A. Deiuliis, Sanjay Rajagopalan, and Andrei Maiseyeu. 2015. Hybrid Nanoparticles Improve Targeting to Inflammatory Macrophages through Phagocytic Signals. Journal of Controlled Release: Official Journal of the Controlled Release Society 217: 243–55.
- Rao, Xiaoquan, Jixin Zhong, Andrei Maiseyeu, Bhavani Gopalakrishnan, Frederick A. Villamena, Lung-Chi Chen, Jack R. Harkema, Qinghua Sun, and Sanjay Rajagopalan. 2014. CD36-Dependent 7-Ketocholesterol Accumulation in Macrophages Mediates Progression of Atherosclerosis in Response to Chronic Air Pollution Exposure. Circulation Research 115 (9): 770–80.
- Maiseyeu, Andrei, and Vaishali Bagalkot. 2014. In Vitro Uptake of Apoptotic Body Mimicking Phosphatidylserine-Quantum Dot Micelles by Monocytic Cell Line. Nanoscale Research Letters 9 (1): 176.
- Maiseyeu, Andrei, Hui-Yu Yang, Gajalakshmi Ramanathan, Fen Yin, Robert L. Bard, Masako Morishita, J. Timothy Dvonch, et al. 2014. No Effect of Acute Exposure to Coarse Particulate Matter Air Pollution in a Rural Location on High-Density Lipoprotein Function. Inhalation Toxicology 26 (1): 23–29.
- Giri, Shivraman, Hui Xue, Andrei Maiseyeu, Randall Kroeker, Sanjay Rajagopalan, Richard D. White, Sven Zuehlsdorff, Subha V. Raman, and Orlando P. Simonetti. 2014. Steady-State First-Pass Perfusion (SSFPP): A New Approach to 3D First-Pass Myocardial Perfusion Imaging. Magn. Reson. Med. 71 (1): 133–44.
- Sharkey-Toppen, Travis P., Georgeta Mihai, Andrei Maiseyeu, Tam Tran, Bradley D. Clymer, Orlando P. Simonetti, and Subha V. Raman. 2013/1. Improved in Vivo Human Carotid Artery Wall T2⁎ Estimation. Magnetic Resonance Imaging 31 (1): 44–52.
- Yang, Fangping, Xulang Zhang, Andrei Maiseyeu, Georgeta Mihai, Rumana Yasmeen, David DiSilvestro, Santosh K. Maurya, et al. 2012. The Prolonged Survival of Fibroblasts with Forced Lipid Catabolism in Visceral Fat Following Encapsulation in Alginate-Poly-L-Lysine. Biomaterials 33 (22): 5638–49.
- Maiseyeu, Andrei, Marcus A. Badgeley, Thomas Kampfrath, Georgeta Mihai, Jeffrey A. Deiuliis, Cuiqing Liu, Qinghua Sun, et al. 2012. In Vivo Targeting of Inflammation-Associated Myeloid-Related Protein 8/14 via Gadolinium Immunonanoparticles. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 32 (4): 962–70.
- 2013-2016: Assistant Professor of Medicine (Tenure Track), Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, The University of Maryland, Baltimore
- 2012-2013: Research Assistant-Professor, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, The Ohio State University