As part of the planning for the Medicine, Society and Culture concentration of the Bioethics and Medical Humanities MA degree program, its leaders organized a monthly reading group that includes faculty from across the university and affiliated hospitals, as well as staff and students.
The group’s list-serv numbers more than 90 members, and has discussed such works as:
- Genes, Cells and Brains (Rose and Rose);
- Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82 (Fenn);
- The Therapeutic Perspective (Harley Warner);
- The Progress of Experiment (Marks);
- Mental Ills and Bodily Cures (Braslow); and
- Prescribing by Numbers (Greene).
In the spring of 2016, the group also welcomed Elizabeth Lunbeck (The Americanization of Narcissism), a historian of psychology and psychoanalysis as part of her stop at the Cleveland Psychoanalytic Center.
To join our reading group list-serv, please email Julia Knopes at firstname.lastname@example.org.