Academic Standing Frequently Asked Questions

If you, at the end of any semester, fail to maintain the standard of performance required for good standing as specified by the academic standing regulations, you will be automatically placed on probation. While on probation, you are ineligible to:

  • Represent the University in intercollegiate activities, including athletics.
  • Hold an elected or appointed office or committee chair position in any campus organization.  You may still participate in organizations, just not as an elected/appointed officer.
  • Take classes as a transient or cross-registered student at another college or university unless you receive permission in advance from the Undergraduate Advising Support Dean's Committee.

If you are enrolled in a course (for the next term/semester) for which they have failed to complete the prerequisites, they must make the necessary adjustments to their class registrations.

When placed on academic probation, you will be expected to perform at a level that will return you to good standing at the end of the next semester. If you fail to return to good standing at the end of the following semester, you will be considered for separation from the university for a period of two academic semesters, the summer session being one of the two.

If you were a full-time student placed on probation and subsequently enroll as a part-time student, you will not be reviewed for further academic action until you have completed sufficient semesters to total at least 12.0 credit-hours. At that time, you will be reviewed on the basis of a composite of those semesters.

Similarly, if you went on probation as a part-time student, you will not be reviewed for further academic action until you have completed sufficient semesters to total at least the number of credit-hours attempted in the semester for which you were placed on probation. At that time, you will be reviewed on the basis of a composite of those semesters.

To return to good academic standing, you must earn a minimum of 12 credit-hours with a semester grade point average of 2.000.  Please be aware that if you do not meet this standard at the end of next semester, you will be considered for academic separation from the University for at least two academic semesters, including the summer session. You can learn more about this by reviewing the academic standing regulations.

Please note that if a student goes on academic probation as of the end of the spring semester, they have the opportunity to be returned to good standing at the end of the summer session if they completed at least 6 credit-hours at Case Western Reserve University with a summer grade point average of at least 2.000.

If you are living in on-campus housing while you are ineligible to register, you will have to pay the daily rate as determined by University Housing. For more information, you should be in contact with University Housing:

Office of University Housing
Thwing Center 24

When crafting your statement to the Academic Standing Board, you should inform the Board of any individual circumstances that may have affected performance and/or attendance during the preceding academic semester, provide any relevant documentation, and describe a plan for how academic performance will be improved in the future.

As part of its review of your record, the Academic Standing Board will review this written statement from you to get your reflections on the past semester and the nature of the difficulties you encountered.  Your statement should be no longer than necessary to present the relevant information that the Board should consider.  If the case you are making involves personal circumstances that interfered with your academic performance last semester but have now been resolved or are being managed, you should also provide supporting documentation as appropriate (e.g., a doctor’s letter).

If there is new information that is both relevant and substantive that was not included in the original statement you submitted to the Academic Standing Board and, therefore, not available for the Board’s consideration of your case, then you should contact your UGS dean, about appealing the outcome.  You and your UGS dean should meet to discuss why the Academic Standing Board felt that the academic standing decision to a record like yours is appropriate.

You should be in contact with University Housing to discuss your expected move-out/check-out date from on-campus housing:

Office of University Housing
Thwing Center 24

Upon academic separation, any enrollments for the two academic semesters (including summer) that you are separated will be cancelled by the Undergraduate Advising Support and the University Registrar. Therefore, you are not required to submit any withdrawal forms since the cancellation process will be conducted administratively.

Your CWRU email account will remain active. Any University communications will still be sent to your email account. So, you are encouraged to read any email you receive in your University email account since important news, updates and deadlines will continue to be sent to you.

Please note that you are still considered a student (inactive) of CWRU, unless you have been permanently separated.

During the period of academic separation (two academic semesters, including summer), you are an inactive student, so access to the software center will be disabled. Software packages contained within the ITS Software Center are provided for the sole use of active faculty, staff and students of Case Western Reserve University.

Please note that students who have been permanently separated from CWRU, will be required to remove/delete all software downloaded to personal laptop and/or desktop computers that originated from the ITS Software Center.

For more information, please read the End-User License Agreement for the CWRU ITS Software Center: